Disk Enclosures
1748031 Members
5195 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

vgextend: IO error on Physical Volume device /dev/dsk/c4t10d0 and the HDD is accessible and claimed

ziad_1
Frequent Advisor

vgextend: IO error on Physical Volume device /dev/dsk/c4t10d0 and the HDD is accessible and claimed

Hi All,

I have DS2405 connected by FC to rp7420 in cluster environment. after replacing one failed HDD on the storage,we have been able to access the HDD by diskinfo, and pvcreate, but when we use vgextend we get the message vgextend: IO error on Physical Volume device /dev/dsk/c4t10d0:. we have tried the dd if=/tmp/vmunix of=/dev/dsk/c4t10d0 bs=1024k count=10 but the prompt never come Back until we abort the command. we We think that there is a problem accessing this disk maybe the path or the storage or anything else. We have tried to replace the failed HDD with over 5 different HDD but the problem persist. thanks you all for your urgent help to be able to fix this problem.

ziad
2 REPLIES 2
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Re: vgextend: IO error on Physical Volume device /dev/dsk/c4t10d0 and the HDD is accessible and claimed

I had more or less similar kind of problem with DS2100 before. I couldn't even able to pvcreate or dd the disk. It turned out to be the slot problem. I had to replace the backplane board.

In your case, I would say you need to check out few things here.

1. First thing to check is the LED indications on the disks whenever you do any action on them. Look for this disk when you insert into the slot.

2. Check the syslog and logtool output. You would get more details of problems like scsi reset etc..

Since you have already tried 5 disks and assuming all other disks are behaving normal, I would suspect the slot problem as dd is failing.
ziad_1
Frequent Advisor

Re: vgextend: IO error on Physical Volume device /dev/dsk/c4t10d0 and the HDD is accessible and claimed

I will try to change the backplane but I think this must be the last solution. Is it normal that I can make diskinfo, pvcreate, but not vgextend? if the slot is failed I don't think I can see the disk and make the two command above. If someone have another idea it will be appreciated.
ziad