5883 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: windows device manager can not detect EVA VDISK

Seyed Ali
Occasional Advisor

windows device manager can not detect EVA VDISK

Hi
i have EVA6100 that is connected to one MDS9222i and CV server is connected to switch.eva and cv are in same zone and i configured vdisk on EVA, also i can see WWN of cv server in command view and i presented vdisk to cv server.But i can not see presented vdisk in windows 2003 disk management. hba card of cv server is emulex A8003A. also i can see HSV 200 on device manager. for troubleshooting i installed emulex oc manager. it can see wwn of eva and detect eva LUN but hba can not upload LUN to windows. i checked with another HBA (emulex a8002a) and cv can see WWN of this new server but after presenting vdisk to new server problem still consist and windows can not see lun but device manager detect HSV200.
you can follow attached pictures
XCX of EVA controller is 6.22
4 REPLIES 4
Bhavnish Kamboj (BK)
Trusted Contributor

Hi Seyed,

It seems strange after looking the screenshots. Bcz HBA can see LUN0 from EVA which is command console lun but HBA is not seeing LUN1 which is ur vdisk from EVA.

Try below steps:

1. Unpresent the vdisk and then present again
2. Reboot the server once

Let me know if it is not working.

BK
Seyed Ali
Occasional Advisor

i TEST YOUR GUIDE MANY TIMES but problem not solve. battery cache of both controller is fail. i found in hp froum this problem occure if battery cache fail:
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1351375
so, i order new battery. after i receive battery i must test and i will send final result
Bhavnish Kamboj (BK)
Trusted Contributor

Hi Seyed,

when a battery pack fails on one controller usually either it moves the vdisk of that controller to partner controller or disable the write-back option and process the I/O as write through. But as in your case battery is failed on both controller so according to me it shouldn't un-present the vdisk rather it should process the I/O as write-through.

Once your issue resolves after replacing the battery then take a call with HP to know the root cause because this is not the way EVA works.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> so according to me it shouldn't un-present the vdisk

That is what you wish, but it is not how the EVA works.

So far all EVA models completely blocks access to all the vdisks when both cache batteries have been declared dead.
As far as I know, there is no (secret) switch to change that behaviour and the EVA is only good as a boat anchor in such a situation.