108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP EH0300FBQDD SAS DRIVES

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dwygocki
Regular Visitor

HP EH0300FBQDD SAS DRIVES

Purchased (8) EH0300FBQDD 15k drives from Amazon to upgrade a RAID 1+0 array on P420 controller. The drives and trays look legit and have the proper hologram label on them but can not get them to accept HPD5 firmware update. I have attempted with both Smart Update disk and individual downloaded installers. The installers state that the update was succesful but P420 SSA still reports the drives as version HPD1.

Did I purchase counterfeit drives?

4 REPLIES 4
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

If the disks are reported as EH0300FBQDD by the OS they are ok.

The problem could be this:

(I'm sure it is)

• Online firmware flashing of drives attached to an HP Smart Array controller running in Zero Memory (ZM) mode or an HP ProLiant host bus adapter (HBA) is NOT supported. Only offline firmware flashing of drives is supported for these configurations.

http://h20565.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5173301&swItemId=MTX_6c10c9213c57433e8e5db3d938&swEnvOid=4064#tab3

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Dwygocki
Regular Visitor

Thank you for the speedy reply Torsten. I am running Smart Cache on this array could this be why I am having issues? I will boot from the Smart Update disk and attempt the firmware update from the DVD offline and hope that does the trick.

Thanks again!

Dwygocki
Regular Visitor

Just a follow up for anyone interested. The harddrive firmware update set itself to deffered. After disabling Smart Cache and restarting the server the updates processed normally and all of my drives are now HPD5.

Thanks again Torsten for steering me in the right direction.

Sofita
Occasional Collector

is it possible to boot from the Smart Update disk and attempt the firmware update from the DVD offline and hope that does the trick. Base SAS Certification questions

Sofita Paul,