1748054 Members
4852 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Unable to update hard drive firmware - no devices found

jhm123
Occasional Contributor

Unable to update hard drive firmware - no devices found

I'm trying to update the firmware on the 250Gb drive (VB0250EAVER) on my N36L from firmware HPG0 to HPG7B.

The firmware update apparently fixes problems I'm experiencing with this drive:

Problems Fixed

•   Resolved an issue where the drive was not recognized when the power was turned on.
  •   Improved drive performance when booting at cold temperatures.

The online ROM flash component installer states: 'There were no devices found that could be loaded with the ROM Image.'

HP SUM from the latest SPP booted from a usb stick says 'Target localhost is up to date, no updates were needed or nothing was installed before exiting.'

This is the only drive in the Microserver. I've tried setting the BIOS from AHCI to IDE and raid. No difference.

HP Insight diagnostics tests the drive as working fine.

Can anyone help? The VB0250EAVER is a Seagate ST3250318AS 7200.12  I'm tempted to try flashing the Seagate firmware.

3 REPLIES 3
Maqbul
Occasional Advisor

Re: Unable to update hard drive firmware - no devices found

Hello,

Please check the release notes for the drive firmware

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?swItem=MTX-3a8fe4285079462f9e38690db8&lang=en&cc=us&idx=2&mode=4&

Upgrade Requirement: Recommended - HP recommends users update to this version at their earliest convenience.

• Customers who already installed firmware version HPG7 do not need to update to HPG7(B).
  • Online firmware flashing of drives attached to an HP Smart Array controller running in Zero Memory (ZM) mode or an HP ProLiant host bus adapter (HBA) is NOT supported. Only offline firmware flashing of drives is supported for these configurations.

Regards,

Maqbul

I work for HP

jhm123
Occasional Contributor

Hi Maqbul

Thanks for the response.

That is the firmware update I am trying to use. I believe the Proliant Microserver has an embedded SATA controller, so the online flash update should detect the drive and work?

I have also tried booting off the SPP DVD (copied onto USB key using HP Key Utility). The firmware update is included in the service pack, but still doesn't find the drive.

I'm at a loss...

jhm123
Occasional Contributor

The firmware update requirements:

[Online firmware flashing of drives attached to an HP Smart Array controller running in Zero Memory (ZM) mode or an HP ProLiant host bus adapter (HBA) is NOT supported. Only offline firmware flashing of drives is supported for these configurations.]

What does this mean? Will it work on the embedded AMD SATA Controller in the Proliant Microserver?

I get these errors:

HP SUM offline: 

Failed: scsi0:Bus:0:Id:0:LUN0 from HPG0 to HPG7  Error=0x40c

Linux online:

Device not supported: VB0250EAVER: scsi1:Bus:0:Id:0:LUN0

Can anyone help decipher??