3890 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: geneune hp hard drives

ShadQad
Advisor

geneune hp hard drives

hello guys,
i would like to ask the following questions about genuine hp hard drives and other parts in general :
-what is the best way to find an hp HDD part number
-is there any standard procedure to find a part number or did hp provide a list of part numbers to choose from
my question looks like silly for some of you but last time i bought a pool of HP SAS drives all of them appear to be genuine and intact but when i did install them on a server it will only works for two or three days and start generating predictive failure error "blinking continuously" i did som research on the hard drive i found some parts inside the hard drive box is not HP and i dont want to counter the same error again
please look at the attachments for more detail

best

shad

P.S. This thread has been moved from ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL) to Storage > disk. - Hp forum Moderator

2 REPLIES 2
Cederberg
Honored Contributor

The quickspecs for the server you are buying the drives for is the best place for supported drives with partnumbers

http://www.hp.com/go/qs

waaronb
Respected Contributor

Do these hard drives have the HP sticker on it with the HP part number and serial number?

HP sources their drives from several manufacturers like Seagate, Hitachi, etc. so the actual drive is made by someone else. I think HP does their own QA on the drives and then flashes a custom firmware on it so it's recognized as an "official HP drive".

I guess a counterfeiter could take one of those normal drives and slap a phony HP sticker on there. Look at the HP part number that *should* be on the sticker (the HP spare number) and then look online to see if the firmware versions for that drive are at all similar to what you have. HP drive firmwares are often just 4 characters, like "HPxx", but not always.