1751898 Members
4817 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: hard drive busted??

Jason_22
Occasional Contributor

hard drive busted??

I have a really big problem and I am in need of some assistance. I currently own a hp pavilion 9900. I regularly run maintenance wizard manually once a week but I've been really busy so I've decided to do it once a month. Now for some reason, it wouldn't work anymore!! When it gets to scandisk, it would not go past 1 block in the status bar. It keeps on checking allocation tables, then it restarts and keeps on doing that over and over again. I cancel that, and then maintenance wizard skips to the disk defrag process. That also would not work. It would not go past 0%. I've waited for hours and hours, but nothing happens. When i click on the details button, there is nothing on the screen. Usually when i hit details, i see blue boxes moving, but i see nothing now. It just stops working alltogether. Before this problem, defrag usually finishes in 30 mins, but now, i wait for hours and hours but nothing happens and it doesn't go past 0%. I really need help!! I am even thinking of formatting my entire computer and restoring it to its original phase, but if there is a way to fix this problem, i will be very happy!!
4 REPLIES 4
Eric de Lange_2
Respected Contributor

Hi,

Seen this before, my root disk (c:) was out of space and it it was doing funny stuff.

I don't believe that the disk is broke, usually these are OS related funnies.

So, installed any other software packages recently that may be causing this ?

My approach would be:
- backup data
- load the recovery CD and start with a fresh install.

ciao,

-Eric

Jason_22
Occasional Contributor

well, the only big thing i recently installed was my new video card and drivers. I installed a nVidia GeForce4 MX460 video card. I've also updated by Mcafee.com antivirus. Thats about all I did. What should I do? Should i reinstall my entire system or should i format and then reinstall?
Jarrod Matthews_1
Occasional Advisor

Mine does this all the time. It's probably just a program running in the background that keeps writing to the hard drive. Simply hit ctrl-alt-delete, and then close all programs except systray and explorer. Then see if that fixes it.
You Never know until you screw it up.
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Uninstall McAfee and rerun. Or disable it from systray if on full time.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law