E-mail Integration
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

TRIM 7.1 Outlook 2010 Error - Unable to cast COM object of type 'System._ComObject'.....

SOLVED
Go to Solution
Advisor

TRIM 7.1 Outlook 2010 Error - Unable to cast COM object of type 'System._ComObject'.....

Hi guys,

I am testing TRIM 7.1 and am having trouble with the MS Outlook Integration.  HP TRIM 7.1 installed successfully with all the prerequisites, and the Outlook integration appears to have been successful, until you try to use it. 

I can use all the TRIM functionality if I am in an open mail message, however when I try to catalogue an email or an attachment from a closed mail message I get the TRIM in Outlook error (a copy is attached the error message is long) that starts Unable to cast COM object of type 'System._ComObject.  Linking a folder in the inbox to a TRIM container works and dragging a close email message to the linked folder works?

My test PC is running Windows 7 (Service Pack 1) with office 2010, MS Word and MS Excel both work as expected.  Has anyone seen this or has any suggestions on what may be causing it?

Slowly going grey...

Nichelle

10 REPLIES
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: TRIM 7.1 Outlook 2010 Error - Unable to cast COM object of type 'System._ComObject'.....

Nichelle,

Are all application versions the same platform, i.e., Windows 7 x86, Office x86, TRIM client x86?

Re: TRIM 7.1 Outlook 2010 Error - Unable to cast COM object of type 'System._ComObject'.....

Hi,

I suspect you are missing some MS Office support files that are undocumented prerequisits. Look for a post from Phil Harney soon...

Cheers,

Chris Mcklaren

Cheers,
Chris Mcklaren
Respected Contributor

Hello, you need to make sure you have the visual studio tools for office (vstor30.exe) and the microsoft primary interop assembly, these aren't in the 7.1 documentation but are required.. Never seen your error before though so it might not resolve your issue, but its a good start.

Advisor

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.  Just to answer some of your questions....

All our platforms are the same and all the documented pre requisites have been installed.  I have run the VSTOR30.exe (which is suppose to help 7.1 work with 2003 and 2007 is that right?), but haven't thought of checking the PIA - other than for 2003 and 2007 as per Grundy's post of a month ago. 

Will download it (PIARedist.exe) and let you know what happens.  Thanks again!

Nich

Trusted Contributor

Nich,

The PIA is not "PIARedist.exe" it’s “O2007pia.msi”. Here is the section that discusses eMail integration in TRIMSpec.pdf:

Mail, messaging and groupware systems

Prerequisites

HP TRIM supports Microsoft Exchange Server 2003, 2007 and 2010.

The HP TRIM add-in for Outlook 2003 requires:

 Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP 1

 Microsoft’s O2003pia.msi

 Microsoft’s Vstor30.exe

The HP TRIM add-in for Outlook 2007 requires:

 Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP 1

 Microsoft’s O2007pia.msi

 Microsoft’s Vstor30.exe

Hi Terry (and Nich),

There is also a o2010pia available from Microsoft which just happens to have the name PIARedist.exe

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=3508

Chris Mcklaren

Cheers,
Chris Mcklaren
Trusted Contributor

I suggest you not use that as we have not linked it to any of our .dll files and it has not been tested, etc.

I suggest you use the 2007 version.

Terry McKenna wrote:

I suggest you not use that as we have not linked it to any of our .dll files and it has not been tested, etc.

I suggest you use the 2007 version.

I thought it would make more sense to use the 2010 PIA with Outlook 2010.  ;)

No idea what QA have tested though.

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
Advisor

Hi all,

I tried 2003, 2007, 2010 PIAs, VSTOR30.exe (which I thought were only requirement for running Office 2003 / 2007), also tried latest .NET Framework .  Still getting the same error.

What I have found is that Cisco Personal Communicator which integrates with Outlook uses the same mscoree.dll add in, when Cisco Personal Communicator is uninstalled, the integration works well and TRIM in Outlook points to mscoree.dll, if we reinstall Cisco Personal Communicator TRIM in Outlook points to axdloader.dll and works with partial functionality and still generates the same error as posted earlier.

Any ideas on how to make Cisco and TRIM share the same dll?

Honored Contributor

Sally Dunn wrote:

Any ideas on how to make Cisco and TRIM share the same dll?

Most likely this is a limitation with Outlook and I doubt you will find a solution other than disabling one or the other.

We've seen similar limitations over the years, e.g. ODMA integration only works with one add-in at a time.

(If Novel/GW had ODMA enabled, TRIM ODMA integration would not load)

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event