1748181 Members
3416 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

7 vSphere hosts and EVA8400

Serge Dogar
Occasional Advisor

7 vSphere hosts and EVA8400

This is my first experience with HP hardware and HP tech support recommended splitting our 7 host cluster, into 2 seperate clusters.

Are there any best practices or white papers for using vSphere DRS/HA clusters and an EVA8400? The cluster currently has 15 LUN's carved out and presented from our 8400 and i expect this number to grow.

4 REPLIES 4
Gordon Sjodin
Frequent Advisor

Re: 7 vSphere hosts and EVA8400

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

How big are the luns?

How many VM's are we talking about?

Any additional information you can provide?

I don't think the doc provided in the link covers HA/DRS specifically, but without any more information about the environment... We rally can't say/help much.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Gordon Sjodin
Frequent Advisor

I cannot really see a benifit to splitting into two different clusters? Are the cpu's different on the machines?
Serge Dogar
Occasional Advisor

All 7 hosts are vSphere 4 version 175625. These are BL680 G5's with dual port 4GB HBA's. The pathing is set to the default MRU All 7 hosts are identical. 2 hosts are in one chassis and 5 hosts are in a 2nd chassis. (we couldnt do 3 and 4 per chassis because of other blade placement) The EVA has 192 disks all in a single disk group (as recommended by HP)

80 VM's - 90% windows and 10% Linux
15 LUN's most of which are 1TB but no larger than 2000GB. All these luns are vraid5, but we have vraid1 luns presented to other physical servers. We will probably add more VM's and LUN's because we have 10TB of free space.