1754016 Members
7485 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Changing the SNMP.CONF file renders HPSMH useless

Robert W. Eastman Jr._2
Frequent Advisor

Changing the SNMP.CONF file renders HPSMH useless

I also posted this in the SIM area which was probably the wrong area..

When I origionally install the HP Agents 851 or 840 on ESX 40. U1 or U2 it will install correctly. But since it appears that you can't define more then one trapsink via the hpmgmt.conf file I have to manually alter the snmp.conf file. Once I do this and restart SNMP the Managemen Home Page will no longer display all the information. It no longer reports the System Model, Managemen Process, Data Source, and the only sections that show up are "Storage - "File System Space Used", & "System - Software Version Info, System Board, System Info" with no data in any of them. A restart of the agents and snmp do not correct this, a server restart does not correct this. The only way to correct this is to uninstall and reinstall the agents. Is this as designed? I might also add the new 851 agent installation is no longer on the fly. This is a very USELESS installation. It will automatically attempt to place the server in maintenance mode. Who's bright idea was this?
Dream On Alice This Ain't Wonderland
(NTFS) No Time For Stupidity
2 REPLIES 2
Robert W. Eastman Jr._2
Frequent Advisor

Re: Changing the SNMP.CONF file renders HPSMH useless

I guess no one as HP has any cluse as to why this happens?
Dream On Alice This Ain't Wonderland
(NTFS) No Time For Stupidity
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Re: Changing the SNMP.CONF file renders HPSMH useless

Hello Robert,
I noticed you must put ESX into maintenance mode. But generaly - Hp agents update frequency is slower than critical patch release frequency for ESX requiring ESX offline, so you can schedule "full" update ad the same time. (this will change after "tranfer" to ESXi versions soon)
I did it las week with ESX4u2 and I have to say Agents 8.51 are installed with no problem, HP SIM 6.1 integration work well, I am quite satisfied.
To be honest, I did not test more trapsinks so can not help - probably raise a support case to HP?

Jan