Operating System - VMware
1752812 Members
5860 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G4 and ESX 64 bit OS install issues.

Imjustdave
Occasional Contributor

DL380 G4 and ESX 64 bit OS install issues.

Hello
I have installed the HP version of the VMware, ESXI 4.1 CD ISO\ESXi 4.0 U1 Installable HP Customized ISO Image 1-11-10 on a DL380 G4 with 3.40 GHz proc, and 6 GB of memmory.

I was successfull in connecting to the server with the vSphere Client

But when I try and install a 64Bit OS it fails telling me that my processor doesn't support 64Bit

Im trying a 32 bit OS right now, it appears to be working as im about 1/2 way finished.

So Why can't I install a 64bit OS even though I have a 64Bit processor?

Is the issue with the Client ESX? it doens't exactly bost being a 64 bit ESX but beeing new to ESX I don't know if it should?

It let me pick a 64bit hose OS for the install

Very frustrated right now, Thank you everyone for your assistance.
3 REPLIES 3
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi there,

DL380 g4 is x86 architecture. its not true 64 bit.. only processor that is supported on this server is 64 bit.

esx 4.0 64 bit is not listed under supported matrix.. so offically it is not supported by hp.

thanks
Aftab

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Check your CPU BIOS Settings. There is probabably something you need to enable.... If I remember correctly.

I'll try to take a look in the morning. I have some Dl380g4's hanging around doing nothing.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Matt Palmer_2
Respected Contributor

DL380 G4's only support 64 bit OS if its installed directly onto the server itself, but it doesnt support running 64bit guests through a hypervisor.

regards

Matt