3483 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

ESX connection with EVA6000

Safir Safir
Advisor

ESX connection with EVA6000

Dear.

I have one Blade enclosure C3000,with 3 Blades BL460C G5,connected to EVA6000.
On the blades server ESX4.0 is installed which provide the multipathing,and the vmware partition are windows.
One LUN on the EVA is created and presented to the 3 hosts blade and the ESX is providing the Multipathing.

everything works fine,until one day the 2 paths to the EVA are lost within the ESX ,then the 2 left are lost ,connection lost to vsphere LUN and then by itself the communication is restored and so on ,this Scenario happens 3 to 5 times per Day.

The EVA firmware is 5,1 and it is EVA6000 and the SAN switches had the firmware 50.1b ,we are supecting a compatibility problem between the ESX and ESX multipathing and the EVA and or San Switches.

Please anyone have an idea.
HELP and thanks in advance
BR
1 REPLY 1
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: ESX connection with EVA6000

The EVA and switch firmware have gone out of support quite some time ago. ESX 4 was certainly not tested against that old versions so it could be anything.

A hardware problem or a software problem that comes up after some time or in specific situations (e.g. there was a problem in the controller firmware many years back that caused a failure when a SCSI reseration collided with a very large I/O).

It is hard to give advice without access to the system. I would start by checking the FC port counters and the VMkernel logs.
And look if something 'unusual' (e.g. backups, VM imports, ...) are going on on the system when the errors happen.