108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP DL380 - Wake-on-lan

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ezio CERRATO
Occasional Advisor

HP DL380 - Wake-on-lan

Hi, I'm having problem activating wake-on-lan on HP DL380G5 server. My VI has 5 hosts, all HP DL380G5, they are running VMware ESX 4.1, and only one of them display wake-on-lan feature enabled. 've already enable and disable several times the option on the bios with no luck. Here below my conversation with VMware help desk.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

DO NOT CHANGE THE SUBJECT LINE if you want to respond to this email.

Hello Ezio,

I have finished comparing the 2 hosts. The VID and DID information for each card is identical (14e4:164c).
The vmware driver being run on each card is identical (|----Version ............................................ Version 2.0.7d-2vmw, Build: 260247, Interface: ddi_9_1 Built on: May 18 2010). What is interesting is that we see the following:

On ESX4
|----Wake on LAN supported .............................false
|----Wake on LAN enabled ...............................false
On ESX5
|----Wake on LAN supported .............................true
|----Wake on LAN enabled ...............................true

At this time I would have to defer you to your hardware vendor. You will need to have them look in to this issue as everything is consistent between the 2 hosts on the VMware side. Either there is an inconsistency with the firmware on the card or Wake on LAN was not properly set in the BIOS. I'd be happy to be involved in a conference call with your vendor if necessary.

Thanks,

Technical Support Engineer
VMware Global Support Services
1-877-4VMWARE
Office Hrs: 10 am to 7 pm MST
Phone Queue shift 10:30 am to 2 pm MST (I am generally not available during this time as I am taking calls from the live queue) I will be OOTO Friday August 20th
4 REPLIES 4
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Re: HP DL380 - Wake-on-lan

Hello Enzio,
I would check firmware version between your servers - including network adapter firmwares, then compare bios settings.

Jan
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

any updates?

Jan
Ezio CERRATO
Occasional Advisor

I compared the firmware and I notice that the firmaware is the same but the version nr on the working one is 12 and in the others 11. How can I flash the cards with the same firmware? I already applied the HP cd with the latest firmware to all of the servers..
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello Ezio,
sometimes firmware dvd doesn't have latest available versions ai is updated ocasionaly.
I case of ESX is manual updating very easy - use linux online update utils (for example redhat 4 64bit versions).
For your server use this page: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3288134&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1121516&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=2026 - download linux online executable to ESX, run it, after next reboot you will have firmware updated.

Jan