New Discussion юеВ

Host CPU incompatible (migration problem) - ESX 3.5

SOLVED
Go to solution
M. Rosario Prados Ojeda
Occasional Contributor

Host CPU incompatible (migration problem) - ESX 3.5

Hi,

I have a weird problem during host update process. I'm using a ESX cluster with this specs:

- 2 HP Blades Proliant BL480c G1 (Xeon E5450 3Ghz) with ESX 3.5.0 build 283373 (already updated to last ESX 3.5.0build)

- 2 HP Blades Proliant BL480c G1 (Xeon E5450 3Ghz) with ESX 3.5.0 build 153875 (next hosts to update)

HA and DRS support.

I already updated two of my four host, but when I'm trying migrate all VM's from my third host for put this host in maintenance mode (if I put this mode directly, the VM's aren't been migrated automatically -maybe a bug?, It keep at 2% permanently and never end the task-, so I need migrate manually), I receive an error message (I put it bottom) that I already received in the past when I hadn't the hyperthreading and VT configuration correctly set, but now, I have disabled the hyperthreading and enabled IntelVT in all host, so I don't understand the problem. By other hand, in the past this problem only happened with 64bits CPU VM, but now happen with many VM (32 & 64 bits).

I've tried some scenarios and this is the result:

1 - Migrate VM in power ON state: fail

2 - Migrate VM in power OFF state: ok

3 - Migrate VM in power ON state hidding NX previously in VM configuration, and show NX when VM already is in target host: ok

* If I return to source host a VM after a previous migration, this VM won't have problem anymore for migrate again to other host, independently of his state (it can be in poweron with expose NX).

I can avoid the problem with scenarios 2 and 3, but I want know the cause of problem...

ERROR (I read many discussions about this error message, but I don't find my solution):

-----------------------------------------------
Unable to migrate from xxx.server to yyy.server: Host CPU is
incompatible with the virtual machine's requirements at CPUID level
0x80000001 register 'edx'.

hosts bits: 0010:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000

required: 00x00:0000:0001:0000:0000:x000:0000:0000

NX/ND (data execution protection). If the virtual machine does not need
this feature, power oof the virtual machine and remove the NX/XD
requirement by editing the virtual machine settings (advanced options).

---------------------------------------------
5 REPLIES 5
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Host CPU incompatible (migration problem) - ESX 3.5

Hello, could be related to Vmware EVC Mode in cluster settings... Probably your old ESX doesn't support it yet - either disable EVC, either update ESX soon.

Jan
M. Rosario Prados Ojeda
Occasional Contributor

When you say "your old ESX doesn't support it yet", you refer to all my ESX host (wich are using ESX 3.5.0 and you are suggesting to me update it to v4) or you refer to my hosts that I have not updated yet (wich have ESX 3.5.0 build 153875, instead of last build 283373)?

If is the second case, I don't think that would be the problem, since I have two host without update to last build, and only one of them have this problem.

By other hand, EVC mode is disabled at cluster level, since vCenter say that 3 of my 4 host are incompatible (the only compatible is the host that are showing this problem). But all host have same hardware... and same CPU... I don't understand...
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello, I ment ESX 3.5.0 build 153875 - as incompatible...

If you have EVC mode disabled, it is really strange. Update ESX soon or contact Vmware support.

Jan
M. Rosario Prados Ojeda
Occasional Contributor

I've found the problem: NX support from bios. In 3 of my 4 host the NX support from bios was disabled.

This 3 hosst was showed as incompatible with EVC mode and migration of many VM from the only host that had NX activated in BIOS to this hosts, produce incompatible CPU problems.

So, problem fixed.

PS: the problem was the NX support from bios, not the status (on/off) of the EVC in the cluster, but the NX support also affect to the posibility of enable EVC. EVC required NX bit support from BIOS enabled.

Thank you very much
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Well done. Did you find it through the VMware knowledge base?

VMKB1001131 - vMotion fails with the error: problem detected at CPUID level 0x80000001 register 'edx'

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1001131