5798 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Multipath is not working properly in ESX3.5 update 4

Ankur Malla
Occasional Contributor

Multipath is not working properly in ESX3.5 update 4

Hi,
We have installed ESX3.5U4 on HP BL460c G5 server which is having HBA(P700m) connected to SAS Switch of the Blade Enclosure.We have created single LUN on Storage MSA2012sa and presented to this server.
ESX server recognizes the 4 paths, and shows the capacity of LUN but it couldn't show device location or name e.g /dev/sda.
If i disable the one of the path from multipath in ESX server then it starts working.Pls.let me know if i have to modify any file/driver or can resolve by any applying workaround with such a scenario.
2 REPLIES 2
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: Multipath is not working properly in ESX3.5 update 4

No, typically you don't need to do anything like that.
How are you managing the ESX?
What does esxcfg-mpath -l show?

I use the web GUI to get the HBA's to scan for the presented storage and then you'll use the add option to init the LUN as vmfs ready for use.
Ankur Malla
Occasional Contributor

Re: Multipath is not working properly in ESX3.5 update 4

Thanks for your reply.
I am getting correct information for multipath, as you mentioned (esxcfg-mpath -l), it is showing one active & preferred path and other is on.
Problem happen when both states remains Active and on, that time i couldn't add the storage LUN to esx server.But if i disable one of the active path and route from the other then it is working.So, i thought it could be a multipath issue which is giving problem here.