4749 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: AF401A and VMware ESXi

Gregorics Tamas
Occasional Advisor

AF401A and VMware ESXi

Hi!

I just got two HP R/T3000 UPS' and I have AF401A management modules installed in both.

Where can I find instructions about how to install an agent under vmware ESXi/ESX 4.0?

Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Typically, you would probably install a linux client if there is one for the UPS.. in the service console if you are running ESX.

If you are running ESXi, you may need to run a management appliance vm.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
gsaunders

Hello.... I know this is an old post, but I would love to hear if there was a solution.

I have the same AF401A and the R/T3000 UPS.  I am using ESXi 4.1.

Thanks

Jags_21
HPE Pro

Procedure to configure the UPS MM and connect the server to it:

1. Attach the UPS MM to the designated optional communication slot in the UPS. Using the HP provided serial cable connect the UPS MM’s config/passthru port to computer’s serial port. Attach the network cable to the UPS MM’s 10/100 MBPS network port and network switch.
2. Using the HyperTerminal on windows system or any serial communication tool on the connected computer, assign an IP address to the UPS MM.
3. Install UPS MM Power Protection Agent (PPA) on all the connected servers (use the Linux PPA for ESX systems).

Click here to find the list of supported OS versions:

4. During the installation of the PPA, it may prompt for the connection method (serial or network), provide either the serial port name or the IP assigned to the UPS MM as prompted.
5. Using any internet browser with Java compatibility, Open the UPS MM’s web-console on any connected system’s using the URL http://
6. Go to the attached devices screen, add connected servers as new devices and provide IP address of the server or proper serial port to which servers is attached to UPS MM.
7. After a few minutes, the attached device status will turn the green status indicating the successful connection between the UPS MM and Servers.
8. Then on the UPS MM's web console, go to Power-fail menu to configure the required shutdown delay time and restart delay time.
9. If needed, check by simulating input power fail on the UPS and confirm whether the connected server shutdown properly after the defined delay time.

Click here to Download the PPA:

Note: Please test the procedure on a non production ESX server

Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Jags_21
HPE Pro

Procedure to configure the UPS MM and connect the server to it:

1. Attach the UPS MM to the designated optional communication slot in the UPS. Using the HP provided serial cable connect the UPS MM’s config/passthru port to computer’s serial port. Attach the network cable to the UPS MM’s 10/100 MBPS network port and network switch.
2. Using the HyperTerminal on windows system or any serial communication tool on the connected computer, assign an IP address to the UPS MM.
3. Install UPS MM Power Protection Agent (PPA) on all the connected servers (use the Linux PPA for ESX systems).

Click here to find the list of supported OS versions:

4. During the installation of the PPA, it may prompt for the connection method (serial or network), provide either the serial port name or the IP assigned to the UPS MM as prompted.
5. Using any internet browser with Java compatibility, Open the UPS MM’s web-console on any connected system’s using the URL http://
6. Go to the attached devices screen, add connected servers as new devices and provide IP address of the server or proper serial port to which servers is attached to UPS MM.
7. After a few minutes, the attached device status will turn the green status indicating the successful connection between the UPS MM and Servers.
8. Then on the UPS MM's web console, go to Power-fail menu to configure the required shutdown delay time and restart delay time.
9. If needed, check by simulating input power fail on the UPS and confirm whether the connected server shutdown properly after the defined delay time.

Click here to Download the PPA:

Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo