1753726 Members
4739 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Installing ESXi 4.1 from USB drive - Need Help ML110 G6

JJones312
Advisor

Installing ESXi 4.1 from USB drive - Need Help ML110 G6

I’m looking to setup a test/dev box at my home and I’m attempting an install of ESXi but running into various issues.
Server: HP Proliant ML110 G6 Intel Xeon X343
I’m looking to setup a test server with ESXi. I’m attempting to install from a USB flash drive to the local hard drive of the server.
Attempted several times from a CD but was unsuccessful and moved to attempt with a USB, since most of the successes I read involved that method.
I used the following link to create the initial bootable USB flash drive with an ESXi image on it.
http://www.jonathanmedd.net/2011/01/install-esxi-4-1-from-a-usb-stick.html
In the article created the ks.cfg file and mod.tgz files so they are on the USB root.
FIRST ATTEMPT - Steps used for install:
1. Ran UNetbootin 494.exe to create the bootable USB flash drive.
a. Selected the following ISO file “VMware-VMvisor-Installer-4.1.0.update1-348481.x86_64”. (VMWare ESXI 4.1.0 Installer (4.1.0-348481)
2. Inserted the USB into server and booted the server up.
3. Selected ESXi Installer – loading begins
4. Welcome Screen select “enter”
5. F11 to accept License
6. Storage Device: shows Local ATA GB0160EAFJE and PNY USB 2.0
7. Select the “ATA” “ GB0160EAFJE” and hit enter
8. Confirm Disk Selection, hit enter
9. Confirm Install screen to install on “t10.ATA…… HIT F11
The following error comes up:
“Unable to find the system image to install. This is due to the image not being mounted correctly or the CD-ROM not being supported.”
Not sure why this would come up considering the image is on the USB drive. Is there a file I can edit on the USB to ensure the install realizes the image is on the USB?
Continuing I read over many posts indicating to go back to ESXi 4, so I did the same thing. Except the installer ran differently and didn’t provide the same prompts (screens).
Second Attempt – Steps used for install
2. Ran UNetbootin 494.exe to create the bootable USB flash drive. (Used the same USB but didn’t format or delete anything on it. I allowed UNetbootin to overwrite existing.)
a. Selected the following ISO file “VMware-VMvisor-Installer-4.0.0-171294.x86_64” (4.0.0 build 1711294
3. Inserted the USB into server and booted the server up.
4. Selected ESXi Installer – loading begins
5. Welcome Screen select “enter”
6. F11 to accept License
Here is where it changes
7. Select Disk: DISK0 PNY USB 2.0
I don’t want to install to the USB so I cancel out of install. Is there a way to have the installer for 4.0.0 Build 1711294, to recognize the hard drive?
Any help is appreciated and this is my first attempts and ESXi and hoping to learn a bit..
8 REPLIES 8
Jags_21
HPE Pro

hi,

probably this is because the server is not under HCL, so this might not work.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/vmware/supportmatrix/hpvmware.html#ML

regards,
Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

JJones312
Advisor

Yes, I know the server is not on the HCL. With that said, I've read various posts where there has been success, thus my attempts.

Ok, so now I've used the steps previously noted with the following file.

VMware-VMvisor-InstallerCD-3.5.0_Update_5-207095.i386.sio

Which has successfully installed VMWare ESX Server 3i 3.5.0 Build-207095.

Now that this version is loaded I'm not sure I'll be able to upgrade to ESXi 4.1 through ESXi 4.0 using the update utility. I had ready that was possible through other forum posts. Is it possible to upgrade ?

Maybe point to the correct instruction manual? I've started to read over 4.1 upgrade guide..
Oscar_Maimó
Regular Advisor

JJones312:

It seems your installation is not scripted because you are prompted to press F11 blah blah...
The only way to install ESXi from USB is using an scripted installation. After transferring install image to USB make sure you modified syslinux.cfg and it looks like

default menu.c32
menu title VMware VMvisor Boot Menu
timeout 80

label ESXi Installer
menu label ^ESXi Installer
kernel mboot.c32
append vmkboot.gz ks=usb --- vmkernel.gz --- sys.vgz --- cim.vgz --- ienviron.vgz --- install.vgz

label ^Boot from local disk
menu label ^Boot from local disk
localboot 0x80

Note ks=usb; this tells the location of ks script.

ks.cfg must be

vmaccepteula
rootpw cluster
autopart --firstdisk --overwritevmfs
install usb
network --bootproto=static --ip=192.168.70.76 --gateway=192.168.70.1 --hostname=sumavihv --device=vmnic0 --nameserver=192.168.70.1 --netmask=255.255.255.0

of course, network section depends of your settings.

JJones312
Advisor

I'll try that..

At this point I'm kind of stuck thought so I'll be troubleshooting an issue which doesn't allow me to fdisk the hdd.

Once done I wanna install from USB to USB drive..

that possible? Reason being is I'm not sure I'm going to get it to install to the HDD.
Oscar_Maimó
Regular Advisor

I don't believe you can install from USB to USB, before going to investigate try the scripted installation to HDD first.

Greetings
Oscar
JJones312
Advisor

About to try it now. I'll update with results in a bit
JJones312
Advisor

Ok, so Oscar I tried your method and though it didn't work it did provide me direction in what did help.

Apologize for not getting back sooner. It has been a rough one.

This is going to be a storyâ ¦ lol So, during this whole process Iâ ve been using the following USB sticks. (Kingston DataTraveler and a PNY 2.0 both 2 gigs) Iâ ve attempted the install so many various ways that itâ s hard to count the numbers, and (plz donâ t laugh) Iâ ve been in and out of the BIOS so many times Iâ ve memorized the screens and keyboard keys, arrows left/ right that I can nav blindly. In saying that, Iâ ve seen the server recognize both USB sticks at different times while plugged in while viewing the BIOS so I know they work. I had decided from reading so many various posts, that in order to get the install on to this ML110 G6. I would have to install ESXi 4.0 and upgrade with client to 4.1. The tricky part was going to install from a bootable USB onto an internal USB drive.
Iâ d like to say YES IT IS POSSIBLE and is now running ESXi 4.0.0 Releasebuild â 171294 on

HP Proliant ML110 G6
Intel Xeon X3430 @ 2.4ghz
4 GB

Here is the steps I used when it worked flawlessly..

1. Ran HHD Low Level Format Tool 2.36 build 1181 on both of the USB drives. http://www.mediafire.com/?yz3imdzrfp5s661 (Reason is that during the various installs, the server would fail to recognize the USB even when plugged in and enabled. It would require me to disable USB, reboot, enable USB, reboot before recognizing)
2. Ran USB Image Tool 1.57. This allows you to create an image of the USB so at any time you can restore it in seconds. SO AWESOME saves so much time when I had to format etc etc Basically i only used this after I wiped a USB, so I didnâ t have to reformat over and over. Now I have back copy of a fresh install for the box.
3. Downloaded VMware-VMvisor-Installer-4.0.0-171294.x86_64
4. Checksum â Checkâ
5. Used unetbootin-windows-494 http://www.mediafire.com/?tt8flxwoticgsww This allows you to create a bootable USB drive. Once you fire it up select the .ISO image and then point it to the USB you want to create the bootable installation image on.
6. Powered up the system and disabled the USB in BIOS(this may be optional for other but as I said above)
7. Installed the internal USB (USB that Iâ m installing to) and plugged in the bootable installation USB to USB port in front.
8. Powered up and enabled USB in BIOS
9. System restarted ESXi 4.0 running with IP
So right now itâ s running and Iâ m gonna start on the upgrade path.. Hopefully things will start to move a little smoother but if not Iâ m sure Iâ ll be asking more questions. :)

Here are several links that helped me get through this:

http://www.vm-help.com/esx40i/ESXi_USB_install.php

http://www.ivobeerens.nl/?p=699

http://searchvmware.techtarget.com/tip/Installing-VMware-ESXi-on-a-USB-drive-A-walkthrough

http://www.jonathanmedd.net/2011/01/install-esxi-4-1-from-a-usb-stick.html
JJones312
Advisor

so you can read sorry for double

Apologize for not getting back sooner. It has been a rough one..

This is going to be a storyâ ¦ lol So, during this whole process Iâ ve been using the following USB sticks. (Kingston DataTraveler and a PNY 2.0 both 2 gigs) Iâ ve attempted the install so many various ways that itâ s hard to count the numbers, and (plz donâ t laugh) Iâ ve been in and out of the BIOS so many times Iâ ve memorized the screens and keyboard keys, arrows left/ right that I can nav blindly. In saying that, Iâ ve seen the server recognize both USB sticks at different times while plugged in while viewing the BIOS so I know they work. I had decided from reading so many various posts, that in order to get the install on to this ML110 G6. I would have to install ESXi 4.0 and upgrade with client to 4.1. The tricky part was going to install from a bootable USB onto an internal USB drive.
Iâ d like to say YES IT IS POSSIBLE and is now running ESXi 4.0.0 Releasebuild â 171294 on

HP Proliant ML110 G6
Intel Xeon X3430 @ 2.4ghz
4 GB

Here is the steps I used when it worked flawlessly..

1. Ran HHD Low Level Format Tool 2.36 build 1181 on both of the USB drives. http://www.mediafire.com/?yz3imdzrfp5s661 (Reason is that during the various installs, the server would fail to recognize the USB even when plugged in and enabled. It would require me to disable USB, reboot, enable USB, reboot before recognizing)
2. Ran USB Image Tool 1.57. This allows you to create an image of the USB so at any time you can restore it in seconds. SO AWESOME saves so much time when I had to format etc etc Basically i only used this after I wiped a USB, so I didnâ t have to reformat over and over. Now I have back copy of a fresh install for the box.
3. Downloaded VMware-VMvisor-Installer-4.0.0-171294.x86_64
4. Checksum â Checkâ
5. Used unetbootin-windows-494 http://www.mediafire.com/?tt8flxwoticgsww This allows you to create a bootable USB drive. Once you fire it up select the .ISO image and then point it to the USB you want to create the bootable installation image on.
6. Powered up the system and disabled the USB in BIOS(this may be optional for other but as I said above)
7. Installed the internal USB (USB that Iâ m installing to) and plugged in the bootable installation USB to USB port in front.
8. Powered up and enabled USB in BIOS
9. System restarted ESXi 4.0 running with IP

So right now itâ s running and Iâ m gonna start on the upgrade path..

Hopefully things will start to move a little smoother but if not Iâ m sure Iâ ll be asking more questions.