5615 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Moving ESXi4 Hardisks

wobbe
Respected Contributor

Moving ESXi4 Hardisks

Hi,

I have two DL360 G5's and I want to move the local harddisks from one server to another. (everything is installed on the local disks) The servers are simmilar but not the same. CPU speed differ (2.0 vs 2.5GHz) and the ammount of memory is not same (12 vs 14 GB) There is probably also a differance in firmware versions.
I know with plug and play operating systems swapping disks is not a problem but how about ESXi4? What kind of problems could I run in to?

WB
5 REPLIES 5
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Is the other server a G5?

If so, I think it should work. It should have a Smart Array controller and the disks should automatically be seen as they are in the existing server.

What you can do, if you have a spare drive...

Shut the server down, pull one drive and boot it back up.

Once booted, insert the spare drive and let it rebuild.

Take the pulled drive and put it in the other server. Without it connected to the network, boot it up.

make sure you put the drive in the same slot you pulled it out from.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
wobbe
Respected Contributor

Moving half the raid set would be a good idea but I have raid 10 with 6 disks so don't know witch disks make up one half.
Does it really matter where the disks end up? In the past I've moved disks around and then the controller put everything in the right place. But that was on a different generation hardware. If it is important then I probably should check the cables and make sure they are connected in the same way in both servers.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

I do not suggest moving ANY of your disks.

I was under the impression you had only 2 disk, not thinking that a g5 could have more than 2. I guess they are up to 8 now?

Eitherway, I would not move the drives since you'll risk losing data.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
wobbe
Respected Contributor

I made a backup and moved the disks to the other server. No real problems. The only thing was a disk firmware upgrade message during the bios phase and all clients wanted to know if they were moved or copied. I selected moved.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

"I do not suggest moving ANY of your disks."

I simply meant not to move "half" the drives, in your case 3 like you were thinking.

If it were a 2 disk set, then you are guaranteed to pull out the 1 disk that is mirrored.

Moving all of the disks would certainly work just fine. ;o)

Sorry for any confusion.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE