Yaboto
Super Advisor

Novice in VMware ESXi !

Hi,

A customer asked me to provide the following solution:

The customer said:

"We want 14 servers with Embedded VMware ESXi"

futher the customer explained:

"We hope to offer redundancy using a virtualization.The plan is to create the virtual machine images of all servers and store them on central storage on a daily/weekly basis. In case of emergency the image will be loaded on the servers runing the virtual Operating System. The system should be up and running again in lessthan five minutes."

I am a master engineer in implementing HP Data Center including SAN and Storage but I am very new to vertualization especially to VMWARE.
I don't know anything about VMWARE ESXi.

Please help me unerstand the solution.

Best Regards,

8 REPLIES 8
wobbe
Respected Contributor
Solution

Re: Novice in VMware ESXi !

I sound to me that they want to make weekly backups (snapshots) to a network storage. In a case of emergency these snapshots can be started from the storage on another machine.
This can work, but since your going back in time so you could run into system account password authentication failures on windows based systems.
Kapil Jha
Honored Contributor

there are various things in VMware to do what ur customer is asking.

You can make a cluster in VMware so that if one physical machine goes down all the VMs would start on second machine in a very short span of time.

to backup things you have
1)snapshot
2)clone
3)template

you may have to understand the above 3 concept and they are pretty simple and quite efficient.

BR,
Kapil+
I am in this small bowl, I wane see the real world......
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

i think your customer should check this links to know what is included in each version :

http://blogs.vmware.com/esxi/2009/06/esxi-vs-esx-a-comparison-of-features.html

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1015000

in my opinion, lot of customers, like to cut the budget, and see the way in virtualisation, yes sure, that is very good way, but i think not with ESXi.

mikap
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Vmware ESX/ESXi infrastructures make use of concurrently mounted storage.
This allows things like High Availability, which effectively restarts a virtual machine on another host if the underlying host fails. It allows vmotion to work which moves virtual machines between hosts depending on workloads. And allows you to do host maintenance without disruption. This is a licensed / costed product.
14 hosts is a big infrastructure. How many virtual servers are you running?

As regards backups, the virtual machines are effectively files on your SAN storage.
You'd need to start talking to your backup vendor about the options available.
You can also use SAN replication technologies to replicate the machines off-site.
John O'Neill_6
Regular Advisor

Heya Yaboto...

Just a hint dude, assign some 'points' to the people taking time out of their day to answer your questions, i've come across a ton of your questions recently that have recieved considered, detailed responses to your queries, it only takes a few moments to show some appreciation to these men and women here.

-John
Yaboto
Super Advisor

Thanks for all your contributions.

Please tell me the difference between the following products:

1- VMware vSphere

2- VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager

3- VMware vCenter Server 4 Foundation

Best Regards,
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

1- VMware vSphere = its product name for ESX/ESXi 4.x

2- VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager

Check the page :

http://www.vmware.com/products/site-recovery-manager/

3- VMware vCenter Server 4 Foundation

Check the page :

http://vmware.mobi/products/vcenter/

Best Regards,
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

VMware vCenter Server Foundation Edition
Manage, Automate and Optimize your vSphere Infrastructure (for up to 3 hosts)

VMware vCenter Server Foundation provides powerful management tools for smaller environments (up to 3 vSphere hosts) looking to rapidly provision, monitor, and control virtual machines. Purchased separately, it is required for managing VMware vSphere server hosts and enabling many of the features.

With VMware vCenter Server Foundation, you can:

Scale up your virtual infrastructure to achieve the highest levels of efficiency and automation
Drive down operating costs by organizing, monitoring and configuring your entire IT environment through a single interface
VMware vCenter Server 4 Foundation for vSphere includes:

A management server, the universal hub for provisioning, monitoring and configuring virtualized environments.
A database server that stores persistent configuration data and performance information.
A search engine that allows administrators to search the entire object inventory of multiple vCenter Servers from one place.
The vSphere Client that provides administrators with a feature-rich console for accessing one or more vCenter Servers simultaneously.
The vCenter Web Access portal that provides remote access from any system.
vCenter APIs and a .NET Extension that allow integration between vCenter Server and other tools, and support customized plug-ins to the vSphere Client.
Please call us to purchasing and getting a licence key for VMware vCenter Server Foundation Edition.

Support Options
Following Support options are available !!

VMware vCenter Server 4 Foundation for vSphere up to 3 hosts + Platinum (24x7) 3 Year Support-(Call)
VMware vCenter Server 4 Foundation for vSphere up to 3 hosts + Platinum (24x7) 2 Year Support-(Call)
VMware vCenter Server 4 Foundation for vSphere up to 3 hosts + Platinum (24x7) 1 Year Support-(Call)
VMware vCenter Server 4 Foundation for vSphere up to 3 hosts + Gold (12x5) 3 Year Support- (Call)
VMware vCenter Server 4 Foundation for vSphere up to 3 hosts + Gold (12x5) 2 Year Support- (Call)
VMware vCenter Server 4 Foundation for vSphere up to 3 hosts + Gold (12x5) 1 Year Support- (Call)

mikap