1753349 Members
4788 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Temperature threshold exceeded detected

Jon_151
Regular Advisor

Temperature threshold exceeded detected

We have eight DL380 G6 servers running ESXi 4. All of the servers will send a Temperature threshold exceeded detected alert. None of the servers are over heating according to the health monitor in the vSphere client. I want to know if anyone else is having these issues. HP said they are aware of it and do not have a fix. In a 10 hour period we generated over 2000 alerts from all the servers combined. We are using WBEM to monitor the servers in SIM. I have suspended monitoring of the servers for now, but I really do not want to do this for an extended period of time.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
4 REPLIES 4
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Re: Temperature threshold exceeded detected

Hello Jon,
we had similar issue with bl685c servers - it was solved by ESX patch in February 2010.
Do you have you enviroment fully updated with latest patches? (use vmware Host update utility)

Jan
Jon_151
Regular Advisor

Jan,

Yes they are all fully patched. Thanks for the info. Do you happen to what patch level it was?
S. Boetticher
Regular Advisor

I've been told too, that in blades the issue was solved with update 1, HOWEVER that's not true for 380G6.

We had for month now the same trouble, it seems that 1.3 (a) Providers for ESXi do solve the problem, however HP itself told me on my ticket that L3/dev was not able to put the fix into 1.3 and I'd have to wait.

So, I advise from our experience: use ESXi with Update 1 and latest VM patches, together with HP 1.3 (a)
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3884082&prodNameId=3884083&swEnvOID=4040&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-07332f4bc3544ecd901f5019a3

since we have that in place, no single false temperature alert :-)
S. Boetticher
Regular Advisor

I have to correct my statement :-(
the update made the situation better, but we still had 2 issues of false alerts since then.
Anyway, w/o it it was much worse, so I'd still update...