Operating System - VMware
1748165 Members
4156 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VMWare ESXi 4.0 on DL385 G1 - fan speed

Arjen Korevaar

VMWare ESXi 4.0 on DL385 G1 - fan speed

I'm running HP Integrated VMWare ESXi 4.0 on a ProLiant DL385 G1, but the server is making a lot of noise.

I hoped that the integrated HP SIM would, kind of like the HPASM package, have the System Health Application which, from what I understand, takes care of fan speeds. Unfortuanatly this didn't solve the problem.

I've tried to install the HPASM for RHEL 4 package and the HP Management Agents for ESX 3.x, in an attempt to get the fan noise down, but it didn't work.

Could someone please point me in the right direction as to how to get these fans to run at lower speeds, when running ESX or ESXi?
6 REPLIES 6
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Re: VMWare ESXi 4.0 on DL385 G1 - fan speed

Hello,

have you tried the ESXi ISO with the integrated HP Insight Agents?

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Where are you running the server?
These are designed for running in computer rooms, they're not particularly quiet.
They're not really office servers.
Arjen Korevaar

Patrick Terlisten: yes, I have tried the ESXi version of HP, with integrated HP agents, but that didn't solve the noise problem.

Unless I'm overlooking some daemon that needs to be started after boot, but from what I've read, everything should be up and running after a clean installation of the HP integrated ESXi version.
flow in

same problem with HP's esxi 4.0 version on a dl585 G1. fans are running full tilt, and i can't find any way to slow them down.
Jonathan Halewood

Hi,

I am looking at using one of these boxes for VMWare ESXi 4.

Did you ever manage to solve the noisey fan issue?

And does your box run 64bit guest operating systems without issues?

Many thanks,

Jon
Arjen Korevaar

Hi Jonathan,

I am also running VMWare ESXi 4 on this box without any problems, except for the fan noise. It does run 64bit guest operating systems perfectly.

If you ever find a way to get those fans to run at lower speed (without the system detecting fan failures), please let me know.

Regards,
Arjen