Operating System - VMware
1752749 Members
5069 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

VMware virtual machine failes to start "kernel panic - no syncing: Oops" hp_ilo:init_hpqci +320

wilson99
Occasional Contributor

VMware virtual machine failes to start "kernel panic - no syncing: Oops" hp_ilo:init_hpqci +320

I have a Proliant ML350 G5 server running REL 4x with hp management software installed v8.1.0? installed.

I wanted to run VMWare Converter to simply convert the physical server to a virtual machine on a ESXi4x server and the conversion seemed to go well.

However; when I attempt to start the VM it goes through the motions and eventually ends with the kernel panic error (see attachment).

I think this may have something to do with the HP_ILO module which is installed in the physical unit but VMWare does not like it.

I'm thinking that I may have to disable or remove all the HP software on the original physical host and then do a VMWareConverter conversion again but I am not very familiar with the HP software and since this is a production server I really don't want to remove anything that could cause me any problems on the next reboot or in any way take it down. I don't want any surprizes due to something I didn't consider so I don't know if disabling or removing the HPASM packages would do anything or not and if I did remove them all will my server still function normally?

My objective is just to get a working copy of the physical server as a VM just in case something happened to our main production unit but this error has stopped me in my tracks and I have never encoutered anything like this before.

Most conversions go very smoothly.

Thanks for any assistance.

1 REPLY 1
MarsQQ

Re: VMware virtual machine failes to start "kernel panic - no syncing: Oops" hp_ilo:init_h

Hi Wilson

We have same problem! But we had fix this.

First, convert the machine.

Second, use OS iso to boot in linux rescue

Then, remove the rpm about hponcfg & hp-ilo and Rebuild the kernel by mkinitrd.

Once finish & reboot, you will boot in OS without error.

The panic message is about hp-ilo, so you should remove the rpm about hponcfg & hp-ilo.

Mars