Operating System - VMware
1752687 Members
5475 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Will 2 vdisks provide better performance on p2000 G3 FC dual controller SAN with vsphere 5?

David Borden
Advisor

Will 2 vdisks provide better performance on p2000 G3 FC dual controller SAN with vsphere 5?

I am torn between creating 1 large volume with a single vdisk for vsphere 5.  I am trying to understand the details regarding the assigning of a vdisk to a specific controller and the performance implications.

If I have only 1 vdisk and 1 large volume in that vdisk will i be limiting myself to half the capable performance with a dual controller array?

Would a better design be to create 2 vdisks with a volume assigned to each vdisk and each vdisk assigned to a different storage controller?

ESXi 5 is set to Round Robin.

Would I see the best performance this way?  The reason I am asking is in the admin guide for P2000 G3 it says that Round Robin Queues I/O to the LUNs on all ports of the owning controller in a round robin fashion providing instant bandwidth improvement. 

So if I only have 1 VDISK then I would effectively be limiting myself to using only that 1 controller for I/O instead of both controllers.  Am I reading this right?

P.S. This thread has been moved from  VMware>General to ESXi. -HP Forum Moderator

2 REPLIES 2
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Re: Will 2 vdisks provide better performance on p2000 G3 FC dual controller SAN with vsphere 5?

Hello,

in my opinion it would be better to create more vdisks. Each disk has its own queue and in some circumstences you can have benefits from more disk queue - especialy in high I/O load.

another saying - some ESX admins prefer creating own vdisk/datastore for each VM :).

We are preparing pretty similar enviroment so I'll do some test what is best for MSA G3.

jan

Jags_21
HPE Pro

Re: Will 2 vdisks provide better performance on p2000 G3 FC dual controller SAN with vsphere 5?

Hi,

I would say having multiple vdisk is better than having single vdisk and all the VM's on it.

Should plan in such way that the VM's which are highly I/O intensive should put on a dedicated datastore (vdisk) and also the vm having huge junk of space allocated a different datastore (vdisk) , all other vm's on a different datastore (vdisk)

Thanks,

Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo