1748104 Members
4470 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: connection to esx svr

dlee12
Occasional Advisor

connection to esx svr

hi! I've hp c3000 with a few blade svrs slotted in there. these svrs are running esxi. The hp chassis has a hp switch with 4 1000mbps ethernet port. I configured 2 pairs channel group to connect to my 2 core switches. I can ping the HP switch management interface 172.16.100.9 (vlan6) from my cisco core switches. I also can ping from the hp switch to all my other gateway of hosts in other network segment, but i can ping my esx host address. I've configured trunk on my uplink to my 2 core switches, and i believe this portion is working fine. The issue is the connection from my blade svrs to the hp switch. My esx mgt network interface is configured as vlan4 (esx vlan) and i believe the connection from the hp sw to my blade svrs' internal nic is configured with tagging/trunking as well. The file attached is the hp switch configuration. Can anyone help me to check what did i miss here? I've been trying this for a few days, but can't to get it to work. Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Did you include a VLAN ID tag in the configuration of your service console?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
dlee12
Occasional Advisor

hi! the service port that you referred to....is it the port 19? I've configured tagging and try to add it into our vlan...but the sw will prompt me "error: cannot move port 19 out of management vlan".

i think that's the reason i didn't use that....i configured a vlan interface for remote login into the sw instead.

pls advise further. thx.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

I am talking about in the ESX server configuration itself.

When you set it up, you were asked for an optional VLAN ID. Unless you set up the switch ports to default to VLAN 4 if there is no Vlan Tag on the ip packet, you will not be able to access the server... at least thats what I experienced while playing around with it for the first time.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
dlee12
Occasional Advisor

hi! yes...the esx management vlan was configured as vlan 4 and the core sw port was configured as vlan 4 as well.
dlee12
Occasional Advisor

sorry....some amendments in my previous reply...the core sw'port connected to the hp sw is configured as vlan 6. the esx management port is configured as vlan 4.

i think the issue is that i can't change the default vlan of port 19 to vlan 6.

we've this config in all our existing cisco blade sw....just that it can't be change in this hp sw....any other suggestion?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

I am not sure if you understood what I am talking about.

When you set up your ESX Operating System, you were asked what the IP Address was going to be for the server. On the following screen, or perhaps the same screen... you are asked for the VLAN ID. Did you set this field to 4?

This has nothing to do with the HP / core switches.. it is a software setting on/in the server's OS.

I take it you can get to the Onbaord Administrator without any problems?

What version of ESX are you running?

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE