6817 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: vSphere ESXi 5.1 VM Direct Path I/O on DL380p Gen8 Server

mc1903-1
Advisor

vSphere ESXi 5.1 VM Direct Path I/O on DL380p Gen8 Server

Hi,

Is anyone out there running VM Direct Path I/O on DL380p Gen8 Server using vSphere ESXi 5.1..?

I checked the VMware HCL and it does not list ANY HP servers as supporting VM Direct Path I/O... Which seems weird..!

I need to dedicate USB cards and SAS storage card to a couple of VM's - its a strange setup and I am aware of the limitations...

Thanks

Martin

3 REPLIES 3
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello Martin,

you are right about VM Direct Path I/O - currently there is very limited (13 at all !) system certifited to this functionality. Do you already have DL380p Gen8 or just wondering? Probably ask HP / VMware support directly. Generally VM Direct Path I/O mostly depends on network / storage controller plus Bios support, not on server model.

Jan

mc1903-1
Advisor

Thanks Jan,

I know the officially supported server list for Direct Path is very limited and I am interested to know why HP haven't certified any ProLiant servers...

Why can Dell, Cisco, NEC and Unisys get models certified and HP not..? Is there anyone 'watching' from HP who is able to shed some light on this..?

There is no point asking Bangalore as they are useless at helping with anything that is not on their 'Can I have your server serial number and failed part number script'... I recently tried to get support on Insight Remote Support and ended up at IBRIX support..!

Martin

Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

hello Martin,

ocasionally there are replies from HP staff directly. So there is hope. But better si contact you HP sales/support representative, in our case it usually helps... (of course no Bangalore... :) )

Jan