4587 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

4/16 switch firmware problem

rich pattison
Trusted Contributor

4/16 switch firmware problem

Hello,
Has anyone experienced problems after upgrading switches to V5.3.0a ????

I upgraded 2x 2/8V and 1x 4/16 powerpack switches to V5.3.0a - since then I can't upgrade or downgrade - I just get a timeout
(telnet session printout attached). A fourth switch I left at V5.2.0 is OK - so the username & password, path specification etc,
should be OK.

I've tried another ftp server, other versions of code, and anything else I can think of - but no change.

Any ideas appreciated
10 REPLIES 10
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor

Re: 4/16 switch firmware problem

I think you need to specify the file as
'v5.3.0a/release.plist' - not just the directory path.
Robert Bidwell

Timeout?
Do you mean you cant see it in the gui any more?

I agree with the release.plist though

The gui changes at 530 so you need a new java version to use the gui after the upgrade so hopefully this is the timeout you are talking about

rich pattison
Trusted Contributor

After reading other ITRC articles about the realease.plist being specified - the conclusion seems to be its no longer required. Anyway - it makes no odds - whether I use the release.plist specifier or not, it still fails!.

I also tried to use both GUI (screenshot attached), and CLI 'firmwaredownload' command, and Fabric Manager - fails every time with the same message about "Server inaccessible/firmware path invalid" - after a time out of about 30 secs.

I'm beginning to think this is some sort of security problem on the switch, or maybe the way it is trying to access the ftp server - has anything changed around this with 5.3.0a???

Thanks
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Did you already check the ftp server?
Try it from your PC's cmd box. Do you have a firewall installed? Personal or built-in firewalls like to block such connections.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
rich pattison
Trusted Contributor

I've used an W2k3 ftp server (.....that works fine with the V5.2.0a switch!), and a colleagues linux laptop running ftp. Same problem. I've tried telnet to the switch to run the 'firmwaredownload' command - is that what you mean by 'try it from the PC cmd box' ??

Thanks for the input
rich pattison
Trusted Contributor

I'm closing this thread - I still don't have a solution, but it looks as though I'm the only one who's got this problem - so it must be something around my configuration, and the way the newer firmware handles ftp or security.

Thanks to all that responded
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
test the ftp connection via the
traceftp command
connect/telnet to the switch and
type
traceftp -n -h YourFTPAddress -u anonymous -d tracedump -f dumpfile

if its not successfull try the root acoount
the pain is one part of the reality
chris barnett_2
Frequent Advisor

wrong path specified in the firmware path. C:\inetpub\whatever is not a valid ftp server path. This is a local windows directory path. It should be somthing like
/5.3.0a/release.plist
rich pattison
Trusted Contributor

Thank you for the input

The 'traceftp' command is no longer supported as of 5.3.0 firmware!!

The example output file shows the path specified as C:\ftproot\inetpub\.........etc etc - but this was sheer desperation - I have tried every combination of pathnames I can think of - and nothing works!!! - The "valid" ftp path \5.3.0a\release.plist - works with V5.2.0 - but not V5.3.0a (?)

By the way - I still haven't resolved this problem yet!!! after many man-hours of trying!!

Thanks again for the input

Rich