5115 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

A Question

rsa1
Advisor

A Question

Hello , Dear

I have an eva4100 system but it lacks mpx100.Can I use the server instead of mpx100?

2 REPLIES 2
HPSDMike
HPE Pro

Re: A Question

The MPX100 is a (discontinued) multi-function router. It can be used to perform data migrations or to front-end a Fibre Channel array to iSCSI hosts.

With that said, depending on what you are trying to accomplish, you can certainly use software based tools, running on a server, to also perform these functions. How well they work depends on which one you choose and what you are trying to accomplish. For example, certain editions of Windows Server can serve up block devices as iSCSI targets and I'm sure there are linux distros, and virtual appliances, that can do the same. Lots of migration type tools exist such as RoboCopy and Doubletake just to name a few.

Also, this array was discontinued at least four years ago and is likely at/nearing and of support life. Depending on how critical this array is to your environment, you may wish to consider whether you want to continue to build onto this system or start looking at a replacement. If you're moving down an iSCSI path then the HPE MSA and Nimble arrays natively support iSCSI and might bring other value added benefits to your organization.

I work for HPE. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from the company. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Accept or Kudo

NimaG
HPE Pro

Re: A Question

Hello rsa1,

I understand you are looking for EVA iSCSI Connectivity Options.

In addition to MPX, the EVA does support select ProLiant Storage Servers (i.e. NAS) connected as file/print/iSCSI gateways.
The ProLiant DL380 G5 x64 SAN Storage Server and DL585 G2 Storage Server each feature Microsoft's
Windows Unified Data Storage Server 2003 operating system that includes Microsoft iSCSI Software
Target standard, while other DL380 G5 Storage Server models offer optional support for Microsoft iSCSI
Software Target.

Please refer the Quickspecs for more details : https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/V2/GetPDF.aspx/c04240150.pdf

However note that all these products are end of life since 2014, and are nearing end of support life as well.

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo