Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyway to protect against shelf failure

Highlighted
Rob n
Occasional Visitor

Anyway to protect against shelf failure

HI,

I have an EVA 4000 with 2 shelves and 12 disks per shelf. Is there any way to configure this against shelf loss or do I simply not have shelves?
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Rob n
Occasional Visitor

Re: Anyway to protect against shelf failure

I meant to say not enough shelves.

Thanks
Highlighted
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

No. To be sure of no problems if you have a shelf loss, you need to have at least 8 shelves - and then you need to ensure that each RSS group has a disk on each shelf.

Cheers,

Rob
Highlighted
Rob n
Occasional Visitor

So there's no way to basically raid1 between the shelves?
Highlighted
Richard Tengdin
Trusted Contributor

RAID 1 is supposed to be split between shelves automatically (that is based on some sizer tools that show 'partial protection' for two shelf configurations.

As long as you have been adding drives in columns the RSS pairing should be across drive shelves automatically. If you added two drives on one shelf that may put you in a non-protected configuration. The RSS information in Command View shows you the basic membership information, but I have never seen anything documenting how mirror partners are assigned.

Summary: If you have been following Best Practices for disk additions and run all VRAID 1 volumes you should be protected.

Note that Tim Stelzner (EVA Product Mgr) didn't know of any shelf loss events on the EVA, and HP is now claiming 99.999% uptime for the EVA 4/6/8x00 arrays.