New Discussion юеВ

Re: Basic brocade SAN switch question

SOLVED
Go to solution
Adam Garsha
Valued Contributor

Basic brocade SAN switch question

Just in case I am missing something:

I need to shutdown two brocade fc switches (1 from each of my two fabrics) to do some maintenance on the power subsystem for a blade enclosure rack.

Assuming that I have shutdown all the blades and assuming that the only SAN devices that will be affected by the brocade switch outage are the blades that I have just shutdown...

Are there any additional steps that I need to take with the brocade switches themselves prior to powering down the entire rack? Is there anything that I need to check to verify that the switches are going to come back with the correct domain ID, etc?

My fear is only that the domainID's are only in volatile memory and will somehow cause all kinds of grief on restart--anthing that I need to check or fears are ungrounded/impossible with Brocade.

These aren't the only switches in each of my two fabrics. I am not worried that zones are not saved/committed.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor
Solution

Domain IDs, PID formats, all that configuration stuff is saved in NVRAM, so no issues at all about powering down the rack.

I've never seen a problem when power cycling switches.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

When you run cfgshow, you will see the configured zones and the applied configuration, if you want to ensure that the configured zones are in effect, you can run:

cfgsave
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Adam:

From what I have seen, there is nothing else you need to do. When you reboot the switches, they will automatically re-join the fabric (since there is an ISL still) and the configuration will be pushed back to the switch from the surviving principal switch.

Before doing anything... run the cfgsave or form the zone admin in the gui, from the actions menu... save configuration. (I think it is "actions" menu). No way of checking right now.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Of course, it is always a good idea to (periodically) do a "configupload" to an FTP server of each switch prior to doing a bunch of work....

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Nguyen Anh Tien
Honored Contributor

Do not worry. All of them was keep at NVRAM.
HP is simple