4435 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Best configuration with Blades SAN Switches of two c7000 chassis

Zouaghi
Occasional Contributor

Best configuration with Blades SAN Switches of two c7000 chassis

Greetings all,
I'm asking for your SAN expertise to resolve this situation. This week one of my customer asked me for the best choice of configuring his SAN.
Here is the situation:
Two years ago the customer bought two c7000 chassis. He put in each chassis two "B-series 8/12c SAN Switch" (in bay 3 and 5), and he put 2 FC Mezzanine cards on the blades. In the other hand, he bought one EVA 4400 (with SBM).
He asked an HP partner for the installation. When they came to install, they told the customer that it's not possible to connect the servers of the two chassis to the EVA (I don't know for what reason). So they moved the blades of the second chassis to the first one. They connect the SBM to the Blade SAN switch and connected the EVA to the switch.

When the customer informed me, I reply to him that it's possible to reinstall the blades on their original chassis and to have blades from the two chassis connected to the EVA. And I think there a lot of possibility to do that. e.g: Buy two Rackable SAN switches (B-Series 4/16 for instance) and form two fabrics, each of them with two Blade SAN sw + the rackable SAN sw. And connect the SMB to the rackable SAN sw, as well as the EVA. But I'm not sure about the performance...

(I have attached a picture of the proposed architecture)

Could you tell me if the proposed solution is the best or if there is better configuration?

Thanks in advance

2 REPLIES 2
Zouaghi
Occasional Contributor

Sorry I attached a wrong diagram, please take in consideration this new one and forget the other.
davidbruno
Occasional Advisor

Zouhagi, you've basically got it right. You have 2 fabrics and I assume you will configure each host to have dual paths (one to each fabric). In this case, with the C700 chassis, the Brocade SAN modules need to be in Bays 3 and 4. Also, you may to look into configuring the Brocade switch modules as Access Gateways instead of fabric swithces. This way the uplinks are not ISL trunks but regular N-ports to the rack switches; they use NPIV to connect the host to the fabric and no zoning configuration is messed with. Anyway it's up to you. As I said before this is the right approach.

Let me know how it works out.