10016 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion

Brocade 4Gb SAN Switch for HP p-Class BladeSystem

Rahman Daros
Occasional Contributor

Brocade 4Gb SAN Switch for HP p-Class BladeSystem

Hi,
now i'm implementing the 8 x Blade servers with 8 x emulex fc card,Brocade 4Gb SAN Switch for HP p-Class BladeSystem and Cisco CGESM module. I have questions based on this environment.

1. Sould i install the Signal Conditioning Card in the Cisco CGESM?
2. How to i configure the Brocade 4Gb SAN Switch?
2. My customer ask me to connect the Brocade 4Gb SAN Switch into existing Core Brocade Switch.How to i do that? is't straight forward or need some configuration on exisiting SCore Brocade Switch?

Need everybody help.
Thank
1 REPLY 1
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: Brocade 4Gb SAN Switch for HP p-Class BladeSystem

1. I can not answer this as I am unsure what the SCC does.

2. This depends on the storage array you will be using. There are several different ways to configure, but in general... the only thing you need to configure is zoning. For individual servers, create a zone that contains your HBA's wwid, or the port number it is connected to AND the wwid or port # for your storage array. Do this for each server that needs to access the array. 1 zone per server. If you need to build a cluster, then you should include ALL the hba's for all the nodes of the cluster in one zone with your storage array.

3. First, you need to make sure you have the proper licenses installed on both of the switches. once confirmed, you need to change the Domain ID on the new blade switch so that it does not conflict with the domainID of the other switch, or any other switch that might be connected to it. The you need to attach one or more ports of the blade switch... to the core switch. Before you do all this, you should make sure the 2 switches have compatible firmwares. The newer blade switch probably has firmware 5.x while the older core switches MIGHT have 5.x, but probably 4.2.x or 4.4.x or maybe even earlier. You will need to upgrade them to the level of compatibility found in the release notes for the firmware of the switch with the latest version (or downrev the newer switch, which is not suggested.)

It sounds like you will havea big task at hand so feel free to continue to ask questions.

What are the existing core switch models?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)