108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Cisco MDS9124e ISL and acces gateway

SOLVED
Go to solution
Pakito
Advisor

Cisco MDS9124e ISL and acces gateway

how can I configure an ISL with another cisco swicth, or how can I do an acces gateway with this kind of switches????
7 REPLIES 7
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Cisco MDS9124e ISL and acces gateway

Hey, I thought access gateway was a brocade proprietary function..

What happens if you connect a cable between them?
Do they merge?
If not, what is the error you get? :)

Why don't you check out the manuals on Cisco.com?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/ps4159/ps4358/products_installation_and_configuration_guides_list.html
Pakito
Advisor

when I connect both switches do an ISL, but the core switch can├В┬┤t see de wwwn of the servers in the MDS9124e, and the client ask me for try to configure the switch MDS9124e like an access gateway (and you're right, this only a funtionality of switches brocade), but I don't now if cisco have something similar and how configure, both switches has the version 5.0
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

OK - just to clarify, I am more of a Brocade guy too :)

Well, there are lots of settings that need to be the same for two switches to merge.
Check out the link I posted above for details, they are in there but it's the same thing on brocade. Is the new switch completely blank? Or do you have VSANs already configured on it?

Apparently portchannel is a cisco feature, i didn't read it all but it looks like this is similar to Brocade's trunking. CIsco has another thing called trunking but this is sending multiple VSANs on the same. Is something you may want to read up a little on as well.

Do you not see any errors in the cisco switches that would indicate why it's not merging?

See this link:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/storage/san_switches/mds9000/sw/rel_1_x/1_3/fm/configuration/guide/TSFab.html#wp545279

Looks like the fabric manager is quite handy when it comes to troubleshooting.
Pakito
Advisor

Ok,I check it

The MDS9124e is new but we need to connect with another cisco switch from an EMC array, and this EMC switch have many VSAN's
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Does it need to connect to all VSANs?

If you want to do that - you can check out the IVR zoning as well - and that my friend is quite complicated :)
Pakito
Advisor

Yes, the engineer of EMC need to connect 3 new HP blades to the array and the zones of the core switch, so we need to conncet de Cisco MDS9124e to the EMC core switch
Pakito
Advisor

ok