108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Command View etc. on Virtual Server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jason Lee3
Frequent Advisor

Command View etc. on Virtual Server

Hi, Is there any problem with me installing Command View (Plus ISEE/WEBES, Scanmaster, SSSU etc) on a virtual server on a BL20P G3 blade? Seems a shame to dedicate a whole blade (Yes it is SAN attached) to be just the EVA8K utility server.
Thanks

Jason
6 REPLIES 6
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

as the EVA is managed inbound, the Command View server needs a direct SAN connection. I don't think there is a way to map the HBAs to a virtual machine. So you need to install Command View EVA on a physical server. Not sure about the other programs.

Regards,
Stephen
gurdeep_2
Frequent Advisor

I've been told that it is a strong recommendation to have each EVA managed directly by a physical server. I have virtual systems but both of my EVAs run off of a server w/command view installed (in two different physical sites).
As far as directing an HBA to a virtual server - - - That one could probably be answered by your vendor, VMWare?
Jason Lee3
Frequent Advisor

Thanks to you both. We seem to be getting a consistent message that a physical server is recommended so will proceed on that basis.

Regards

Jason
Basil Vizgin
Honored Contributor

You can install Command View, for example, on a file server to share server roles.
gurdeep_2
Frequent Advisor

That is true, the server can share roles, however, if the file server will have LUNs presented to it, that may be an "unsupported configuration from HP".
It's better to get one of your oldest 1.4ghz servers and install Command View, ISEE, etc. on it.
Perhaps make this CView server a software share, etc. Nothing mission-critical installed on it of course.

If there are EVA issues, that Command View server is going to be your best friend, you don't want anything happening to that server. It's not as if you can hookup a monitor/keyboard to the EVA. - just my 2 cents worth.
Jason Lee3
Frequent Advisor

Good point...I image a backup server or utility server would be the best bet, something that could be rebooted without any major drama.

Thanks

Jason