108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Command View on a virtual machine

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jeremy C
Regular Advisor

Command View on a virtual machine

I've installed Command View 10.0 on a Windows 2008 R2 virtual machine (vsphere 5).  Command View sees one path to the EVA 8100, and it's the path to the slave controller so it can't manage the EVA.  I've verifed that the virtual machine has 4 paths to the EVA (2 to the master controller and 2 to the slave controller). 

I used the instructions here to setup a generic scsi connection for Command View to communicate with the EVA.

The exact message that Command View gives me is:

The storage system is not responding to management command requests in a timely manner. This may be due to a prior management command request with excessively long response time, or a communication problem. HP P6000 Command View will recover automatically when the storage system is able to respond to management commands. Management command access to the storage system does not affect host I/O.

When I click "Path Test" is when Command View reveals that it only sees one controller (the slave).

Any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5
Jeremy C
Regular Advisor

I didn't setup VMDirectPath.  It looks like you have to dedicate an HBA to the VM...which I can't do without purchasing additional HBAs for the blade enclosure.

So unless someone can correct my understanding that you must have physical HBAs dedicated to the VM, then for me it looks like Command View on VM is a no go.

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Jeremy:

I just followed the same instructions, installed CV 10 and it worked right out of the box.  I am able to fully manage the EVA it seems.

Is this a new installation?  Does the ESXi server have anything else on it?

Check your zoning.

Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Jeremy C
Regular Advisor

Yes, this is a new installation of Command View on a newly created virtual server.  I have an existing physical server running CV EVA 9.4 that I'm trying to replace with a virtual server. 

There are other virtual servers on the ESX host.  I can see all the proper paths to the EVA in vSphere so I believe the zoning is correct. 

Did you dedicate physical HBAs to your virtual server or is it sharing the HBAs?

Jeremy C
Regular Advisor
Solution

Page 7 of this document lists the configurations that will work for Command View within a VM.

I have an EVA 8100 and therefore must have an HBA dedicated to the VM.  Other EVA models do not have this restriction.  I think this answers my question.  It also explains why you may have been able to get it to work without dedicating an HBA.

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Yep, I have 2 4400's and a 6400.  That would explain why my test worked flawlessley.

And yes, I did NOT set up dedicated HBA's.

Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)