1753316 Members
5053 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Connecting windows servers to an EVA-5000 and an EVA-8000 simultaneously

dentistcorn
Regular Advisor

Connecting windows servers to an EVA-5000 and an EVA-8000 simultaneously

Currently our environment consists of many windows servers (2000 and 2003) connecting to several EVA-5000s. We are acquiring new EVA-8000s and we will need to serve up storage from these new EVAs to the existing severs.

My questions are:

> Can I connect a windows host simultaneously to a 5000 and 8000?
> Can Secure Path and MPIO Full coexist?
> What HP document(s) specifically references the process to connect windows hosts to these different form factors.

Thanks,
QV
4 REPLIES 4
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Re: Connecting windows servers to an EVA-5000 and an EVA-8000 simultaneously

Hi,

to answer your questions:
> Can I connect a windows host simultaneously to a 5000 and 8000?
Yes

> Can Secure Path and MPIO Full coexist?
Yes, as long as you have the latest version of both products (SecurePath 4.0C SP2-1 and MPIO 1.00.02 minimum)

> What HP document(s) specifically references the process to connect windows hosts to these different form factors.
If you have access to SPOCK, the latest streams will tell you what the requirements are. The latest HBA drivers are supported on EVA5K and EVA8K simultaneously.
Or else you could try the Connectivity Guides for each Storage system, available in the documentation section on hp.com

Regards,
Stephen
dentistcorn
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the reponse. I don't know what SPOCK is but it appears to be an HP internal knowledgebase. As for the windows connectivity documents it mentions nothing of connecting these two models simultaneously.

So far I have not found any documentation at all concerning this issue. So if anyone knows of a specific document that indicates in detail that this is a supported configuration and excatly how to connect a host to an EVA-5000 and 8000 I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi,

SPOCK = Single Pont Of Connectivity Knowledge
It's HP-Internal, but is also available for certain HP Partners (which is how I can access it)
But the SAN Design Guide also has information on different storage system access from a common host.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00403562/c00403562.pdf

See pages 126-128 for Windows hosts. Page 128 has info on Multipathing software.
Basically, you need the latest HBA drivers and Multipathing SW, and then it's a supported configuration.

Regards,
Stephen

My answers are:
yes, you can connect a windows host to an EVA5000 & 8000 simultaneously.
Yes, Secure path and MPIO can co-exist

Documentation on this subject is very vague and open to interpretation.

I asked the very same question about three months ago, I was told it would work and was pointed at some vague HP documentation.
I tried it for myself and it works fine.
MPIO sees the 8000 only and Secure path looks the 5000 only.