HPE EVA Storage
1752780 Members
6677 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Disk Fail - Operational State: Populated - can't un-group?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rich Hearn
Regular Advisor

Disk Fail - Operational State: Populated - can't un-group?

Hi,

I had a disk fail last night (red/orange light lit on front) and it shows on cmd view as Operational State: Populated (Data DIsk), but looking at the "disk" tab is shows as "The disk drive in this bay is unidentifiable".

I don't see anywhere I can un-group it, but I don't know if I can just remove it physically without a problem. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Rich
_
7 REPLIES 7
gabbar
Trusted Contributor
Solution

it means that the drive has completely failed.. swap it in with a new drive and group it.
Rich Hearn
Regular Advisor

gabbar,

Thank you for the information. It's good to know I can just "pull it"

Rich
_
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi,
As above just pull it out, wait a couple of mins and then install the new drive, wait for it to be picked up by CV then group it.
However, if you can ungroup a drive that has failed (or if you just wish to do a controlled removal of a drive) then you should always do this if possible.
In your case, the drive has failed and not showing in CV so you will not see the ungroup button. Double check it has failed and then all you can do is pull it out.
Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...
Rich Hearn
Regular Advisor

Mark,

Thanks for the response. I take it that if the un-group tab is not showing, then there's no possibility the EVA would have it still grouped - yes? - that's always my concern...

Rich
_
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi,
ALWAYS look at the properties of the disk to verify that it can no longer be seen from CV.
Use the "refresh" or "discover" buttons a couple/three times and then go back to the drive properties again.
If CV is still not detecting the drive - assuming that the drive is physically installed correctly - then you have no choice but to pull the drive as the ungroup tab - or any tabs for that matter - will not be there if the drive is not detected.
Always very good practice to check around the properties of the disk group(s) as well - ungrouped disks - because when a drive does fail, assuming that CV can still detect the drive which will depend on the failure, then the failed drive will show up under disk groups and hardware properties.
Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...
Viveki
Trusted Contributor

Hi Rich,

>> "The disk drive in this bay is unidentifiable"

This means the disk is already failed and for sure it is not grouped. So you won't get the "ungroup" option for this disk.

It can be found in the "ungrouped disks" section.

You can safely replace it by pulling it out and inserting a new disk.

Also please keep in mind that check for any "reconstruction " events before pulling any disk out from the EVA. You should allow "reconstruction" to complete before removing a disk from the enclosure.
Rich Hearn
Regular Advisor

Mark,

I appreciate the words on checking the properties of the drives - I have to admit, I don't think about the "refresh" - I usually assume it'll be "fresh" since I only logon to check failed drives and the windows get started "fresh" - guess what I assume. :^) I'll keep it in mind for the future.

Physically, the disks I replace have been running for 5+ years, so installation's not a concern - good point tho'. Do 'preciate the thoughts though.

Viveki,

Appreciate the thoughts on reconstruction - my disks usually fail during the night, so everything's finished in the morning (backups), but good to be informed of.

Thank you both for the responses and thoughts
Rich
_