EVA Storage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVA 4000/5000 offline when batteries are dead?

Highlighted
PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

EVA 4000/5000 offline when batteries are dead?

I have here an EVA4000 and an EVA5000 in my testlab. The 4000 has all dead batteries and it seems this is the reason why I can't see my virtual drives on my test server.

Is this true? Does the EVA4000 (and also 5000) deny to set the virtual drives online when batteries are dead? I observed this behaviour on my 5000 too and the drives got visible after I changed the batteries.

Main question is: Is there a way to get the drives online WITHOUT changing the batteries? I'm just thinking about an emergency scenario to bring the drives online even without working batteries.

On the old DEC HSZ40 controllers (which are the ancestors of the HP storage products) there was a jumper to "ignore the battery", because these controllers went offline without battery.

"If it seems illogical... you just don't have enough information"
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: EVA 4000/5000 offline when batteries are dead?

I have never heard of any way to get around the battery check no :/

As far as I know it's the same for all EVAs when all batteries in it are empty.

One idea was to set the vdisk to "write-through" but I believe it enters that mode automagically when the batteries die.
Highlighted
PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

Re: EVA 4000/5000 offline when batteries are dead?

I just tried to set up a write-through vdisk on an EVA with dead batteries... does not work either. The only way to go is to install new batteries.

"If it seems illogical... you just don't have enough information"