1752786 Members
5998 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

EVA 4000 can not restore disk failure protection level after disk replacement

Valentin Likoum
Frequent Advisor

EVA 4000 can not restore disk failure protection level after disk replacement

Hello all, the next 72 GB FC disk has failed on our EVA 4000.  The disk drive failure protection level  fell from Single to None as expected, leveling process was completed at the moment of replacement. But surprisingly, failure protection level  has not risen back to the Single as usually after the disk replacement and leveling completed.  I did it many times and it used to go back to the Single every time, but not this one, and I can't understand why. Replacement disk has the same capacity as the failed one, no errors in the log noted.  So what could be the reason and what to do next? Can ungrouping and grouping back help? 

EVA contains 24   72GB   FC disks (68.36 GB of formatted capacity). The single disk group now has 1637.09 GB (had 1500.15 GB when Single level was in action)  and 1450.84 GB occupied.

9 REPLIES 9
StorageMike
HPE Pro

Re: EVA 4000 can not restore disk failure protection level after disk replacement

Hi

Are you sure leveling has completed?  I would expect it to take a while and not complete as soon as the disks was added.  I assume the disk was added to the diskgroup?

Thanks

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: EVA 4000 can not restore disk failure protection level after disk replacement

To confirm that levelling actually happened one can check inside the "controller configuration dump" and check if the disk has any occupancy.

Valentin Likoum
Frequent Advisor

Yes, I'm sure.   "Leveling state"  property in the relevant "Disk Groups" folder was "Inactive", "Leveling progress" was "n/a",  and the relevant record in the controller event log  happened hours before I  added the replacement disk to the group. And the same happened with the adedd disk day before I asked the question.

By the way, I tried to ungroup subject disk and replace it with the new one of the same capacity (after the ungrouping was completed, of course) .  Unfortunately it did not help, protection level stood at None, but available capacity fell dramatically, from ~160GB after first attempt to ~20GB now, though occupancy stays the same.

StorageMike
HPE Pro

Hi

Have you completed a Controller Firmware upgrade recently?

Thanks

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Valentin Likoum
Frequent Advisor

Have you completed a Controller Firmware upgrade recently?

No.  Firmware has not been changed since installation. It's 5.031

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

5.031 cannot be the EVA4400 firmware version.

EVA Firmware.jpg

Please check again, in the example it is 11300000 (the latest available).

I guess to know the reason for the question - newer versions (starting with 11001100 IIRC) reserves more space than previous versions).

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Valentin Likoum
Frequent Advisor

@Torsten. wrote:

5.031 cannot be the EVA4400 firmware version.

But the EVA 4000 can :)  Actually it arrived here with this version.

Copy-paste from the system page:      System Type: HSV200  Version: 5031 

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Sorry, somehow I missed that.

However, even this version was unsupported in 2007 already ... you don't use it in production, do you?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Valentin Likoum
Frequent Advisor

@Torsten. wrote:

Sorry, somehow I missed that.

However, even this version was unsupported in 2007 already ... you don't use it in production, do you?

Yes, we do.  Otherwise I would not have the reason to ask the question.    So I guess "firware version" is the answer, although it had no reasons to complain till now. sigh.