108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

EVA 4400

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jeremy L.
Advisor

EVA 4400

Hi, I am new Command View and the EVA products and I am plodding through a setup. I have 12 1TB disks and my goal is to configure and present 1 large share to a Windows server.

I am stuck at the vdisk configuration. As it stands, if I set disk drive failure protection to none (not preferable) and then look at the vdisk creation screen the most space I'll be able to present to a share is around 6TB since I have to use at least RAID 1. Is there something I am missing here??

7 REPLIES 7
Jeremy L.
Advisor

Re: EVA 4400

Perhaps a better way for me to phrase the question is: what is the maximum amount of space I can actually use with 12 1TB disks on an eva 4400?
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
maybe this discussion could help you:
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1268768
the pain is one part of the reality
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

With the latest firmware (09501000) you can create LUNs bigger than 2 TB.

12 x 1 TB in RAID 1 = 6 TB, as you said

You lose a few MB on each disk that are reserved for metadata, but that should not be noticeable on a 1 TB disk.
Jeremy L.
Advisor

Thanks for the responses. I was under the impression that the firmware update for the EVA 4400 that would allow for LUNs larger than 2TB was not available yet. Do you have a link?

Jeremy L.
Advisor

I ran the StorageWorks Sizing tool and it gave me the following:

RAID and Logical Volume Layout

Storage System View

Storage System EVA4400 #1, Total Disks = 12 (Usable = 9600GB, Raw = 12000GB)
Disk Group 1 (DiskGroup_01_9119GB), Protection = 0, Disks = 12 x 1TB FATA Disk

Which looks like I would be able to present a 9.6TB share to Windows for use. I still can't figure out how to get this ocnfiguration though...
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor
Solution

Jeremy L.
Advisor

Great, thank you for the link! That looks promising. Hopefully I can create a LUN with closer to 9TB of usable space with the new firmware.