108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA failover and recover

SOLVED
Go to solution
SamirShrestha
Frequent Advisor

EVA failover and recover

I've set up EVA for disaster recovery.Installed HP storage work EVA4400 in source and distination site with continuouse access licence. Installed RSM and command view in management server on both end. Created DR group of all vraid and replicated into remote EVA.After creating the DR groups,the destination virtual disks presented to the remote hosts in 'Read Only'.When I tried to map the distination replicated storage with distination host with multipath diver of HBA, it could not give access to map the drive. How to give access to map this drive with remote host?
5 REPLIES 5
DogBytes
Valued Contributor
Solution

Hi Samir,

You should present the destination vdisks to the remote hosts normally, that is in read/write mode. But understand this is only "designating the disks for presentation", they won't actually be presented until you do a failover. And be aware, when you do a failover, the source site hosts will lose access to their vdisks so don't test this with production data until you are ready.

Hope that helps.
SamirShrestha
Frequent Advisor

Thanks
I've resolve this. In the mean time could you kindly assist me on RSM. Do we need to schedule job to copy data from source storage to distination storage? Or it will copy automatically while refresh the RSM? I've just created 5 vraid and assing them in single DR group for replication.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

You don't need an explicit 'copy' job for CA to happen. As soon as you set up a new data replication group/copy set, CA does an initial 'fully copy'. By default every write to the sourcve EVA is immediately replicated to the destination EVA - only then the write is acknowledged to the host (=synchronous copy).

RSM is just a complicated framework to automate some tasks like a failover. With a single data replication group it is just a few mouse clicks in CV-EVA!

Due to the continous update of the destination virtual disk you must not present it as read-only:
- the server does not expect any filesystem changes it did not do itself
- some filesystems cannot be mounted in readonly mode anyway.

The readonly mode is a special 'hack' to assist another layered product: EVA Cluster Extensions which allows automatic failovers in some cluster environments.
SamirShrestha
Frequent Advisor

Thanks,

On graphical interface of RSM, it asking for license for RSM. Do i need to register RSM and get license? I've already import license for CV,CA and BC.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Last time I checked, the use of RSM was included in the BC + CA licenses. The only exception is the dynamic capacity license.