1752753 Members
4672 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: EVA4400 - The disk drive in this bay is unidentifiable

Felipe Martinez
Frequent Advisor

EVA4400 - The disk drive in this bay is unidentifiable

I have an EVA4400 and EVA6400, for i fast test, i move my 8x 146FC disk from EVA4400 to EVA6400, worked fine, now i´m returning the disks to EVA4400, bays appears like poputaled but the message on the disk say "The disk drive in this bay is unidentifiable".

if i try to initialize, say than "There are not enough disks to meet the minimum number requirement".

Any idea?
9 REPLIES 9
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Sounds like you have a poor connection or the drive has not been identified by the EVA.
Try physically removing the drive, wait 30 secs or so and then re-install the drive.
Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...
Mr Arc
Occasional Advisor

Even I have same issue. after reinsert disk same problem.please help
Víctor Cespón
Honored Contributor

If the disk appears as unidentifiable even after reseating it, you should replace it.
Felipe Martinez
Frequent Advisor

Hello:

The problem still with the disks but, the the disk is good because i move it to my EVA6400 and it detect the disk normal, get me full information about it. Return the disk to the EVA4400 and the disk is inidentifiable.
Dominic Schoehl
Occasional Advisor

Hello Guys,

we had a similar problem some weeks ago. A disk failed and the replacement disk was not identified.

Together with the HP 2nd level support we found a solution: After reseating the I/O modules of the disk enclosure (one after one), the disk was identified as "failed" in Command View. With this state all information like model, serial number, etc. were visible in CV. Then it was possible to update the firmware of the disk. After that action everything worked fine again.

According the support the problem was caused by an old firmware of the replacement disk (400 GB / 10k) which occurs when running the latest XCS code. EVA was a 4400.

I would recommend to check with HP support if your EVA is running fine before you reseat the I/O modules. Just to be sure that you're not running into the next problem.

Best regards
Dominic
MohankumarK
Advisor

I have same problem with 1 TB disk on Bay no : 7 / Enclosure ID : 1 / Name : Disk Bay 7 . But leveling is in progress on the disk group of the above disk ( 9 % Complete )

Should i go ahed and replace the new disk or please suggest for further action on this. 

NSharon
Frequent Advisor

If the Disk is no longer part of a DG, then yes its failed and it can be replaced.

Please ensure reconstruct process is complete before any disk replaceement.

You may want to call HP and let them know of the disk failure and place request for another disk in its place.

I work for HP.

If you find my Post Useful please click on the thumbs up!
MohankumarK
Advisor

Please confirm , is there any dependency on disk replacement & diskgroup leveling? 

hvhari
Esteemed Contributor

"Levelling" happens on each addition/removal of disks and does not affect the data availability. It is safe to replace a disk when "Levelling" is going on.

Regards,
Hari

If this post was useful , click the Kudos Star on the left side to say Thanks!