HPE EVA Storage
1752565 Members
5354 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA8000-To power up two unused disk enclosure.

stephen peng
Valued Contributor

EVA8000-To power up two unused disk enclosure.

guys,

The 2C6D have 4 disk enclosure powered up and running, the other twos were not powered up. Now I need to power up these two disk enclosure and add the disk space to use. Could you please tell me the right procedure? Would it conflict with the current configuration?

regards

Stephen

P.S. This thread has been moved from General to Storage Area Networks (SAN) (Enterprise). - Hp Forum Moderator

9 REPLIES 9
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Are the enclosures already cabled?

I would remove all disk exept 1 disk, power on the chassis, insert the disks one by one, wait a minute after inserting a disk. Finally group them all together.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

Torsten,

All the disk enclosures are cabled.The other four disk encolusures are now in use, and data lost is not permitted. Should I follow your hint ?

Stephen

stephen peng
Valued Contributor

Torsten,

I made mistake in last reply.

There are six disk enclosure in the chassis. Enclosure 01,02,08,09 are now power on and in use, the other two enclosures was not power on and NOT CABLED; Enclosure 08,09 are above HSV210 controller pairs and the other fours, under; enclosure 08,09 connect to each other through I/O module, and the other two port of each I/O module pairs, connect to HSV210 controller pairs' DP ports, so do enclosure 01 and 02, so there is not blank DP port on each HSV210 controller; there is no loop switch inside the chassis, which confuses me after my looking up the manual.

So the problem is what exact parts do I need if I want to utilize those two free disk enclosures and what is the correct procedure to put them into usage without harming data in the array?

regards

Stephen

I have attached the cabling diagram. Hope this will help you.

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Sebastian.Koehler
Honored Contributor

It is no EVA8000 without loop switches. You need to have at least one loop switch pair for an EVA6000 and two pairs for an EVA8000. Is this the reason why the enclosures are powered down? Max. 4 shelfs are supported without switches. Are the controllers HSV200 (EVA4000/6000) or HSV210 (EVA8000)?

Don't expand the EVA without loop switches since this will result in an unsupported and possible unstable setup!

If the enclosures are brought up, at least 4 drives must be installed per enclosure. Expand a single loop at a time starting with loop A. (left side) Power up the enclosures including all drives before actually expanding EVA.

Regards,
Sebastian
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

Koehler я╝М

1я╝МI checked partsurf with its S/N and it was a EVA8000 2C2D

2,  Liked you said, there were 4 disk enclosures powered up in the system

3, I do agree Ioop switches should be added when the other two disk enclosures need to be powered up.

So, what do you mean "Expand a single loop at a time "? and what you do mean "Power up the enclosures including all drives"? please offer me more details.The disk enclosures need to be powered up were full disks configuration.

regards

Stephen

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

From the quickspecs

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12236_div/12236_div.HTML

EVA8000 2C2D 50Hz 42U Cabinet

A 4U controller assembly with two HSV210 controllers and two M5314A 3U dual-redundant FC Loop 14-bay disk enclosures in a 42U Storage Cabinet. It can be Factory Configured with additional drive enclosures. For configurations with more than four Drive enclosures the FC loop switches must be included. It can also be field upgraded up to a 2C12D configuration with the addition of drive enclosures and FC loop switches.

So you can have 4 enclosures without switches.

If you open the loop while connecting new enclosures, open 1 loop at a time.

The problem with the number of disks:

If you connect a fully equiped enclosure, all the disks need to join the loop at the same time, this may slow down or hang the loops. So install only "a few" disks first (IMHO 1 should work) - without disks the enclosure will not be detected.

Then insert all other disks one by one. If all are installed, group them all in a single step to avoid a high number of re-configurations of the RSS groups.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

stephen peng
Valued Contributor

Torsten,

open 1 loop at a time --- should this "open" activity performed online or offline? From my understanding to your reply, all these jobs could be done online.

regards

Stephen

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

You can do this online.

Consider to check the disk firmware after you added the new disks.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.