108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: FC HBA drivers query

SOLVED
Go to solution
Frank Andrews
Regular Advisor

FC HBA drivers query

Hoping someone can clarify this, but I'll be updating some FC attached hosts soon and I'd like to know the difference between the following drivers:

"Boot From SAN HBA Drivers: 2.30.020 Storport"
compared to
"Storport Driver for HP branded Emulex HBAs and Mezzanine cards 2.30.016"

The server I'm updating is attached to an EVA 6000 and currently it is using Storport drivers but isn't booting from the SAN, it boots off it's internal HDDs. So might seem obvious that I don't choose "Boot from SAN" and use the other drivers, but I would like clarification about the difference.

The drivers I'm referring to are on this page:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=1143949&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=1809835&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1005

Many thanks and points will be assigned!
5 REPLIES 5
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

The BFS drivers are only used for the initial installation of the OS to an FC-attached disk. After the installation you are supposed to apply the driver Smart Component anyway:

c01443404 - HP StorageWorks EVA Disk Arrays - Microsoft Windows Boot from SAN Drivers

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01443404
Frank Andrews
Regular Advisor

Ok, so to be perfectly clear, I am updating drivers for an FCA2214 and the server is already built with Windows 2003 OS. So in this case I just need to install the "Storport Driver Component for Qlogic FC HBAs and Qlogic-based FC Mezzanine HBAs" and I'm good to go?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

If this is an older server, make sure the SmartArray adapter driver is current (should be ok if it has been set up within the last two years or so).

Then apply the Microsoft Windows 2003 storport hotfix.

Then install the FC adapter driver.

Then install the EVA MPIO DSM and the DSM Manager.
Frank Andrews
Regular Advisor

Yes I do have a plan to upgrade the other software components and your suggestions agree with mine. This server is also running a very old version (5.03) of Command View EVA and as an interim upgrade I am considering upgrading it to 6.02 as I can't be sure they have appropriate licensing, so was I going to load 6.02 for the short term. Do you see any issues with this? From reading other posts I believe the approach is to remove their current CV 5.03 (and SSSU), reboot and then install the CV 6.02 and matching SSSU?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Sounds like a good plan. CV-EVA used to uninstall the old version automatically and reboot, but there is nothing wrong doing that on your own.

I don't remember about older versions, but CV-EVA V6.0.2 places a Windows version of sssu.exe in:
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Sanworks\Element Manager for StorageWorks HSV\Bridge