1753900 Members
7508 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HDS 9960 and RP8470

AHPS
Occasional Advisor

HDS 9960 and RP8470

We have our systems (2) attached to a HDS 9960 SAN and up until recent we have had little problems with our disks.
We have a cluster config using MS/SG. All disks are setup via HDS LUN Security to be accessible by all systems.

HDS devices are OPEN-Es.

One OPEN-E = approx 13G usable.

We have OPEN-E, OPEN-E*6 and OPEN-E*12 LUNs.

We have an issue with 4 OPEN-E*12 LUNs.
3 of these OE12s have never been used, but one is in use by one of the systems in the cluster.

When we do a diskinfo, ioscan, lssf, & xpinfo(limited info) it appears the LUNs are fine.

When we attempt an inquiry with adb or a dd we get an error returned.

The error for the adb is:

Cannot open /dev/dsk/CTD
text address not found

The adb cmd is used in this method:
echo "0x2008?4D" |adb /dev/dsk/c9t1d1

The number to echo has to be some ID but not sure of anything more then that(another SysAdmin provided this). It works on the other devices fine. I used this to match the disk across the cluster and find what disks were available to grow filesystems/create new volumes.

The error on the dd command is:

/dev/dsk/CTD: permission denied
dd: cannot open /dev/dsk/CTD

The /dev/dsk & /dev/rdsk permissions are correct.
The dd cmd is also correct.

We attempted to break up the OE12s and assign just an OE but that too failed, so it seems like we have reached a limitation but everyone we talk to say no. LUN Security on the HDS side has been looked over by our Senior SAN Admin and HDS and they say it looks correct.

I can not find any information relating to this problem and any info provided would be greatly appreciated.

TIA!!!

Lori
11 REPLIES 11
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Re: HDS 9960 and RP8470

The 9960 (aka XP512 by HP) is pretty old so your HDS admins may probably are simpluy overlooking the fact that they may have set those LUNS to read only.
Hakuna Matata.
AHPS
Occasional Advisor

We just added another OPEN-E*3 LUN on the other port which didn't show any issues but when we tried to access it via a dd cmd, it too complained. So I do not think its a permission read/write problem. I believe we have met up with some limitation either on the HDS frame, switch, or the HP. I am leaning towards the HP due to the fact that we have a great deal more LUNS assigned to our SUNs off of one port then we do the HP.

Thanks for your input!!!
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

What about the "mode" of those LUNs? It's my understanding that you cannot mix HP and Sun modes on a port.
Hakuna Matata.
AHPS
Occasional Advisor

You bring up a good point, we had ran into that very early in the installation process almost 2 years ago.

We are now waiting for feedback from HDS support. We should hear something by today.

Thanks again!!
Fabian_Nowee
Super Advisor

It sounds a little bit of hostmode port problems.

lunsecurity is ok as well? no nodenames instead of portnames? (same with zoning)
Looking for nice incentives? (www.kirsp.nl)
AHPS
Occasional Advisor

Good questions/point!

They(HDS & Senior Storage Admin) checked the lun security and said it was setup correctly.

But with the the hostmode, we ran into an issue with LUN access about a year maybe 2 ago and HDS had to configure the 9960 ports to a setting(I do not know and the Senior SA doesn't know at the top of his head.)to fix the access problem.

On the question of portname v/s nodename, we identify the 9960 port ID on the hostside and the WWN of the systems interface card on the 9960.

There is no zoning within our SAN. He calls it a flat zone. But the HPs are on their own ports and switches(they apparently don't play well with SUN).

Thank you for your input!! I am getting more feedback from this site then I am from HDS or HP.

HDS reviewed their logs but did not provide any feedback that we did not already know of.

HP is waiting for HDS to respond back and are not sure what to do or what is the cause.

Again - Thank you for your input!

Lori

Fabian_Nowee
Super Advisor

probably the hostmode port was changed to mode-03 (hp extension, to adress more than 8 lun's on a HP-UX machine)

this mode causes the adressing to use the target ID aswell, instead of only the LUN ID. (limit of 8 in HP-ux)

the 9960 (XP512) is a machine which didn't have hostgroups/domains. so each environment needed a seperate port (mode)

The newer machine >9980 (>xp1024) do have hostgroups/domains so you can mix os environments on one port.
Looking for nice incentives? (www.kirsp.nl)
AHPS
Occasional Advisor

HI,

We have found that using bs=1074 would not work once we changed it to 1024 the read from the device worked.

Now we are trying to determine why we can not write to it.

These are the errors :

root@ausbx1:/home/sysadmin >dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rdsk/c9t5d1 bs=1024
I/O error
1+0 records in
0+1 records out
root@ausbx1:/home/sysadmin >pvcreate /dev/rdsk/c9t5d1
pvcreate: writing LVM record: Permission denied
Matthew_50
Valued Contributor

did you use HDLM ? we notice many issues exist between HDLM and HPUX.