HPE EVA Storage
1753272 Members
4874 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP EVA 6350 - VDisk not presenting to Virtual FC in Hyper-V 3.0 guests running Windows 2008 SP2

Drexel480
Occasional Contributor

HP EVA 6350 - VDisk not presenting to Virtual FC in Hyper-V 3.0 guests running Windows 2008 SP2

I am setting up a test lab and I have run into something kind of strange. My environment has the following equipment:

- HP EVA 6350 w/ 25 900GB 15k drives

- 2 x HP 8Gb SAN switch

-  8 x HP Proliant DL 360p G8 running Windows 2012 SP1

I have configured two of the DL 360p with Hyper-V and installed vm guests with Windows 2008 SP2. I created a 3TB Vdisk on the EVA for each DL360p to store VM's on. I configured one of the HBA's on each DL 360p in Hyper-V for use in making Virtual FC within my guest vm's. Everything was working fine in the beginning, but as I made more and more guests and connected them to the EVA I noticed that the Vdisks I was creating and presenting to the VM's were no longer showing up within the VM's. I am not seeing any errors within the VM's, the switches or the EVA.

I have 21 Virtual FC's from the two DL360p's. 9 on one of them and 12 on the other but only 15 out of the 21 are actually getting the Vdisks that I presented to them. All of these connections are going through only one of the switches to the EVA. I can see within the switch that the connection are NPIV.  I have not seen any limitations on the number of NPIV FC connections that can be put through one physical HBA. I have also zoned the switch so that the Virtual FC's access the SAN over different FC's evenly.

It almost appears as if the SAN has stopped recieving or sending certain types of information. Like it won't except any more Virtual FC's connections. It has seen the WWN's of each machine so that I can create Hosts and Present Vdisks to them but the guest vm's never see the disks.

Has anyone seen anything like this? Is there some special configuration I am missing? I feel it is very strange that I don't see any errors anywhere. Any ideas?

P.S. This thread has been moevd from General to Storage Area Networks (SAN) (Enterprise). - Hp Forum Moderator

1 REPLY 1
Drexel480
Occasional Contributor

Re: HP EVA 6350 - VDisk not presenting to Virtual FC in Hyper-V 3.0 guests running Windows 2008 SP2