New Discussion юеВ

Re: HSG80 to EVA8000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mulder_1
Frequent Advisor

HSG80 to EVA8000

Hi,

What would be the best way to migrate HSG80 to EVA8000 ?

The systems are running on OpenVMS v7.3-1

Note :The core switches for EVA are not connected to HSG80 by any means

thanks
8 REPLIES 8
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You say the HSG80 isn't connected to the core switches for the EVA, but it's not clear from that, whether the VMS boxes can currently see both the HSG80 and the EVA.

If they can, you should just be able to do a BACKUP/IMAGE from the HSG to the EVA.

Cheers,

Rob
Mulder_1
Frequent Advisor

No the VMS boxes are connect to HSG but cannot see EVA.

I'm looking for the best way to migrate the storage to EVA.

Thanks
Sivakumar MJ._1
Respected Contributor

Mulder,

Can you give me your SAN Topology so that we can proceed in answering your question.

1. Do the OpenVMS servers have alternate paths or HBA Ports for new FC Cabling to the Core Switch or Edge Switch or to EVA directly

2. How many ports are free in your core switch

3. Does the EVA is locaated in the Same DC or located in remote site.

4. Do you have downtime for the OpenVMS Servers.

Sivakumar MJ._1
Respected Contributor

Mulder_1
Frequent Advisor

Thanks to all....

What I'm looking for is to know if HSG and EVA can be connected by some means so that I can shadow the disks or restore the backup ?

Downtime for the servers might be for very short span (3 hrs most)

marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

probably the best way would be to connect up your vms boxes to the eva and shadow the disks across, once complete break the shadow by dismounting hsg disk volumes. afaik there is no replication for hsg to eva without using another storage virtualization product in front of the two storage arrays involved, or if you've got the time backup to tape - disconnect hsg - connect eva - restore from tape.
have you got space for additional hba's in the servers, if dual pathed to the hsg can you afford to disconnect one and repatch for the eva ? have you got a shadow license ?

fwiw

Mulder_1
Frequent Advisor

Ok..that sounds fine..

Also,we have got unused ports on both the switches....so can they be connected by a fibre ?

Please let me know ASAP.

Thanks
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

I'm still not completely clear as to how things are currently connected...

I think you've got the VMS boxes connected to SAN switch(es) which the HSG80 controller(s) are connected to.

Then there's a completely separate fabric consisting of the EVA8000 and more switches.

If that is the case, then you should be able to connect to the SAN switches together which will merge the fabrics. You will however have to be careful with any zoning that is currently configured on the switches.

Once you've got everything connected, then the VMS boxes should be able to see LUNs from the EVA as well as the HSG and you can copy the data across.

Cheers,

Rob