108788 Solutions
New Discussion

HSV110 with different firmware on EVA 5000

SOLVED
Go to solution
mpapet
Advisor

HSV110 with different firmware on EVA 5000

I admin an EVA 5000 that's got a flaky hsv110 controller that needs to be replaced.  Unfortunately, this is a 24-7/365 storage with zero downtime the rule. So, updates on the EVA have not been done because the unit has been running without trouble and service impact would be a grave matter.

As a general description, each controller pair and disk shelf pair are set up in a redundant manner connected to redundant FC switches.  Each host has two FC card with multi-path.  We've had minor equipment failure issues and the redundancy works exactly as planned.

What happens to the other HSV110 in the pair if the replacement HSV110 unit has a different firmware version?  Does anyone know if there are consequences to the other shelf sets of one hsv110 having different firmware?

I'm probably not using the right words for some of the equipment in the SAN, so ask if something is not clear.

4 REPLIES 4
hvhari
Esteemed Contributor

Re: HSV110 with different firmware on EVA 5000

When the replacement controller is of a different version, it will not join the configuration and you will have to manullay update the firmware. Im not sure what version of firmware you are in now, as EVA 5000 is a bit old product and there are not much firmware released in past few years on this platform. If it happens that you need to downgrade/upgrade the firmware it will require downtime.

Regards,
Hari

If this post was useful , click the Kudos Star on the left side to say Thanks!
giladzzz
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi

From my experience if you replace a controller then when the new controller joins it will down grade to the firmware of the existing controller. Because you are not having down time just replacing a controller when the EVA is working. This is true for all EVA modules. you can verify this with HP support.

Regards

mpapet
Advisor

We're going to try it in the next 24 hours, so hopefully the HSV firmware downgrades to what's running on the rest of the EVA.

I know it's old in computing terms, but it keeps running relatively trouble-free.  Why fix what isn't broken?

mpapet
Advisor

giladzzz advice worked as promised. Thank you!