HPE EVA Storage
1751798 Members
5493 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How I can do Lun Mapping with a A5158A HP Tachyon HBA

Marlon Cova

How I can do Lun Mapping with a A5158A HP Tachyon HBA

I'm installing a SAN with a Disk Array and two HP-9000, I defined 10 Luns, 5 for each machine, but I only can see the firt 8 LUNs peer computer. I wan use LUN Maping in order to assig 5 LUNs for each computer.
5 REPLIES 5
Enes Dizdarevic
Honored Contributor

LUN mapping is done at disk array not at HBA, so we need more information about your disk array. Some disk arrays have limit 8 LUNs per port. If this is your case you have to reconnect your servers in that way to use 2 ports. To to that you have to have 2 raid adapters (storage procesors) in your raid. More information about disk array and connectivity will clarify the problem.
Edward Borst_2

What kind of storage controler do you use??

The way of lun-mapping varies per controler.
if the controler is using the default way of lun-mapping you have got 8 ports available.
you have to upgrade or enable your controller for using the other way of lun-mapping.
this will enable you to use 32 lun's.

Regards,

Edward
Oliver Haensel
Respected Contributor

Hi Marlon,

there are several addressing methods within fibre channel protocol. The default addressing method is "peripheral device addressing". HP-UX hardware paths currently restrict the number of LUNs addressable with this method to 8. A patch to increase it (up to 256LUNs) is in preparation. We're waiting for it.
It's possible to force the HBA to use another addressing method called "volume set addressing". (HP does it with the firmware of the XP diskarray family.) Then you can have up to 16k LUNs. So it depends on both the hardware (diskarray and HBA) and software (driver) how many LUNs can be mapped by the host bus adapter (HBA).

-Oliver-
everything is possible ...

It could be that your LUN assignment is not sequential... If your LUN assignment goes something like:

controller 1 target 1 LUN 0
controller 1 target 1 LUN 1
controller 1 target 1 LUN 2
controller 1 target 1 LUN 3
controller 1 target 1 LUN 4
controller 1 target 1 LUN 5
controller 1 target 1 LUN 6
controller 1 target 1 LUN 7

controller 1 target 2 LUN 3
controller 1 target 2 LUN 4

Then if you don't have the correct pacthes installed, the HP server won't be able to see the LUNs. If I remember correctly without the patchthe HP server will only see LUNs which start at LUN 0 and go up sequentially for a given target ID.

The patch for HP-UX11 is PHKL_24004

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

What kind of disk array is it? If it's a Hitachi 7700E, 9910, or 9960, you will see only 8 LUNs. This restriction is going away, I'm told, but you may still be seeing it.
No matter where you go, there you are.