HPE EVA Storage
1753918 Members
7507 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How to backup the EVA 4400 configuration?

Bowtasdw
Advisor

so the link you posted earlier what i just repost is not a valid config backup?? yes the config dump was a .tar which extracted to a xml file.

so this xml file is a reference only usless as a backup??
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

As far as I could see at least in the 'capture configuration' command you could not make it use .xml.

You could use the .xml to store/visualize the configuration.
Bowtasdw
Advisor

So what does backing up the EVA configuration allow you to do anyway? does it just allow you to recover from a mistake when making config changes?

I've just been told EVAs have a tendency to lose there configuration sometimes. being you shut them down then turn them back on and they come back on as an uninitialized unit and have lost all the data on the disks. will resorting a configuration even allow you to recover data on the luns you created or will it just restore that configured state and you will be going to backups to restore the data anyway??

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

If your array loses it's configuration you shouldn't do anything besides calling HP support.

Odds are that the reason why the array "lost" the configuration is because the controllers cannot find the metadata for some reason.

In the case that happens, having the configuration stored and to be able to provide it to the hp support might be a good thing to have (and then the controller configuration dump is/was better than the one from capture configuration via sssu).

If you for some reason need to empty the array and re-create all the arrays slightly differently it might be easier to use the 'capture configuration' as a template.

If you make a mistake, you can't just re-load the old config and that will get it back to the way it was. It depends on what kind of mistake it is I suppose and if it was done while it's in production or not.