108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: I can't view LUNs in HP EVA3000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

There is no 3.5.x listing for the EVA3000/5000 in SPOCK, but there IS a 3.5.x listing for the EVA 4/6/8k.

There msy be a different custom host mode type that you need to use for 3.5.x and/or may need to upgrade your Command View and/or VCS.

Keep in mind that ESX 3.5.x is relatively new as compared to the EVA 3000.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
pviqueira
Occasional Advisor

Hi Rob,

I added hbas from drop down list first and later I tryed to type the WWNs manually. In both cases the result was that ESX can´t see the LUNs.
I think switches are configureds ok because if I install a windows server I can see the LUN. Also, the most suprising is this morning wen I came back of the weekend I scan the hbas and I can see the LUN, but when I restarted the host I lost it again.

Regards
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
it seems that only Active/Active EVA 3000/5000 firmware (V.4.100) will be supported with the ESX 3.5x
the pain is one part of the reality
pviqueira
Occasional Advisor

OK,

I am going to prove 2 ways:

1st. Install VMWare ESX 3.0. I´ll check if I see the LUNs in this version.

2nd. Upgrade EVA3000 to VCS 4.100.
Can I upgrade EVA3000 to VCS 4.100 mantainning my actual version of Command View Eva 5?. (I support contract has finished and I only have license for Command View EVA 5, I think)

Maybe, If the first way works fine I don´t upgrade the VCS and I remain the old version of VMWare.

Thanks
Pablo
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

"Can I upgrade EVA3000 to VCS 4.100 mantainning my actual version of Command View Eva 5?."

No. You will need at the very minimum, CV 6.0.2. You do not need to upgrade your license to use 6.x. You would need to obtain the software though somehow.

You would also need to obtain the 4.100 VCS and upgrade your WIndows hosts to MPIO Full Featured DSM for VCS 4.x

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Keep in mind that you still need to obtain Command View 6. Then you can upgrade to 6.0.2 with the link supplied.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
this should be the CommandView 6.0 ISO kit:
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software7/COL16255/co-43020-1/
the pain is one part of the reality
pviqueira
Occasional Advisor

Thank to all.

I have proved first way. I downgraded vmware to 3.0 version. In this version I can view the LUNs presented through Commnad View EVA correctly.

Now I´m thinking if the risk of the second way (upgrade VCS firmware and Commnad View EVA) is worth.

Thanks again an regards.
Pablo
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> pbind.pl

This script was used for "persistent target binding" in VMware ESX V2.5.

V3.x does implicit "persistent LUN binding".

However, if a (re)scan does not find any storage - NO FORM of persistent binding will help.

ESX V3.5 comes with new device drivers and did require a new certification, but I am surprised that it did not even detect the EVA controller LUNs at LUN address 0...