108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

IP over Fiber

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Tyler
Advisor

IP over Fiber

Does HP support IP over fiber. Our N-classes are hooked up to the HDS in a brocade fabric and i was wondering if i can run IP over the fabric for backups.
BTW, we use the tachylite A5158A adapters and run HP/UX 11.0

We have been able to configure JNI on our SUN boxes to run IP.
4 REPLIES 4
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor
Insu Kim
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: IP over Fiber

Does "IP over Fiber" mean FCIP (Fiber Channel over TCP/IP), that is, interconnection of islands of Fibre Channel storage area networks
over IP-based networks to form a unified storage area network in a single Fibre Channel fabric.

If yes, it's still in the "Internet Engineering Task Force" home page, which means "work in progress" by a group of people.
After all, we'll see an implementation in the near future.

Go see what internet draft is and what's there.
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-guidelines.txt

Here is one more link for FCIP.
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ips-fcovertcpip-07.txt

By the way, If this is what you want to hear, I wonder how you made this possible in your sun box due to the fact that it's under progress.

Hope this helps,
Never say "no" first.
Insu Kim
Honored Contributor

Sorry for making a mistake.
The line, it's still in the "Internet Engineering Task Force" home page, should be modified to "it's still in the "Internet Drafts" folder of the Internet Engineering Task Force home page.

Never say "no" first.
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

If you're talking IP over Fibre Channel, the answer is no. There is no support in the HP-UX kernel for this at this time, and HP does not support you doing that in your SAN, even if you have a host that supports IP over Fibre Channel. There are interference problems with a variety of devices... IP Zoning your Brocade switches can help, but it's basically an immature technology.

Why not just Fibre Channel attach your tape library, and backup to it directly?
No matter where you go, there you are.